AM Focus SAMuel

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
After having a small stint on the Santa Cruz Chameleon Hardtail, I was longing to get back on a Dually. Ended up being able to bring across a lot of the parts from the hardtail. Purchased the frame, fork, shock & wheel set to make it complete.

Have spent maybe 50hrs riding time on it so far, and have loved every minute of it. Before buying this bike I thought that being 160mm travel it may suffer with the climbs, but i was wrong. The rear shock coupled with the Dual Position Pikes, makes climbing a breeze, with almost zero peddle bob. Feels very much like a hardtail in this respect. Open up the rear shock and switch the Pikes to full and descending is an absolute blast; just point and shoot.

Buying this bike I wanted a bike that could do everything, without spending too much $$$$. This bike is currently my only bike and does everything from City Rides, Singletrack & DH Shuttle Runs. In the near future, I'm looking at playing around with some Bottomless tokens and try to tweak the suspension just that little bit more. Of course a dropper would be nice as well, but i have to control my spending for the next few months, so that will have to wait awhile. All in all love this bike to bits and the way it rides. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

:llama:

Bike:
Frame - Focus SAM XL
Fork - RockShox Pike Dual Position 160mm
Shock - RockShox Monarch Plus Debonair
Handlebars - Fourier Carbon 800mm
Stem - Raceface Turbine 35 50mm
Headset - FSA
Grips - ODI Oury
Saddle - Zero Zealth
Seatpost - Thomson Elite
Brakes - SRAM Guide R
Cranks - Truvativ Descendant
Chainring - AbsoluteBLACK 34t Oval
Casette - SunRace MS3 11-40t Wide Range
Pedals - Crank Brother Mallet DH
Rear derailleur - SRAM GX 10sp
Rear shifter - SRAM X9 10Sp
Wheels - Stans Flow Ex - Hope Pro Evo 2 Red Hubs
Front Tyre - Onza Ibex 2.4"
Rear Tyre - Maxxis Ardent 2.25"
Tubeless - Check
Total weight - 13.8kg

Rider:
Height - 189cm
Weight - 103kg (Loaded with Camelback)
Usual Riding Spots - Gap Creek, Toowoomba, Castle Hill

Pics:

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Ditto. They seem like they are just a no nonsense, kickass 160mm bike - no fancy curves or bling. Is that a 26" wheel out back or just an optical illusion?

How does the XL frame size suit you kl3ggy? I'm almost exactly your dimensions and my LBS does Focus...

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Another SAM and another XL to boot :)

Gotta love them, droppers are dropping in price with the new releases so look out for specials, it really brings this beast alive, I was a Thredbo for two days on mine and it rocked it.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Ditto. They seem like they are just a no nonsense, kickass 160mm bike - no fancy curves or bling. Is that a 26" wheel out back or just an optical illusion?

How does the XL frame size suit you kl3ggy? I'm almost exactly your dimensions and my LBS does Focus...
Haha now that you mention it, it does look like a 26" Rear, but alas its 27.5" all round.
Previously I have been on Large bikes for the past 3, and this was my first XL. I reckon it suits me just fine; I didn't however, ride a L before purchasing the frame. A mate who is a little shorter than me also purchased a XL Focus SAM frame, and he finds it just a tad large. For me it feels just right. Would be interested to ride a L with a 50mm stem also to compare, just for giggles.

kl3ggy, what happened to your Sight?
Sold that, when i wasn't using it much, and had the idea of going back overseas for an extended period of time. But that didn't happen, mates all bought bikes again, and I missed riding :cry:

rtd

Likes Dirt
How do you find the Ibex tyre compared to Maxxis? Weight, grip, sidewall stiffness, durability? Think I might try one out next.

Rich.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Haha now that you mention it, it does look like a 26" Rear, but alas its 27.5" all round.
Previously I have been on Large bikes for the past 3, and this was my first XL. I reckon it suits me just fine; I didn't however, ride a L before purchasing the frame. A mate who is a little shorter than me also purchased a XL Focus SAM frame, and he finds it just a tad large. For me it feels just right. Would be interested to ride a L with a 50mm stem also to compare, just for giggles.
Sold that, when i wasn't using it much, and had the idea of going back overseas for an extended period of time. But that didn't happen, mates all bought bikes again, and I missed riding :cry:
I've ended up with a 50mm Hope 20deg rise Stem and wide rise bars, the extra lift really helps me keep my rear end back on the decent which is what i do most of on my SAM

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
How do you find the Ibex tyre compared to Maxxis? Weight, grip, sidewall stiffness, durability? Think I might try one out next.

Rich.
Haven't had any issues so far. Originally was going to run my usual Maxxis Minion DHF on the front, but the LBS had none in stock so decided to give these a go. Specs wise I think their about 850g which is lighter than Minion I think. No noticeably slow rolling resistance compared to others Ive used. Durability wise, going great so far. No noticeable wear, & haven't needed to top up the Tubeless goop. In relation to that, was very easy to set-up tubeless using just a floor pump. Once you have the right pressure dialled in, makes for a predictable tyre.

I've ended up with a 50mm Hope 20deg rise Stem and wide rise bars, the extra lift really helps me keep my rear end back on the decent which is what i do most of on my SAM
How do you find climbing in general/technical climbs with all that rise up front?

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
My friend runs same bike XL he put spank spike 35 stem ,
good for reach and climbing, and super stable and fast on decents