Foot Pain

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i shall continue anyway. When I'm riding, predominatly on long decents as im spending a lot of time standing, I get an actue pain in the arch of my foot from the pedals. I already have some stiff soled 510s and reasonably sized Saint flats. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on combatting this at all?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i shall continue anyway. When I'm riding, predominatly on long decents as im spending a lot of time standing, I get an actue pain in the arch of my foot from the pedals. I already have some stiff soled 510s and reasonably sized Saint flats. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on combatting this at all?
where are you positioned on the pedals? Traditional theory says to have the balls of your feet on the pedals which could help.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I had that exact problem. Let a bit of pressure out of the tires and it helped a bit, but what helped even more was positioning my foot OUT of the traditional position. The edge of the pedal was right smack dab in the middle of the arch of my foot, which basically put all my weight on that edge. I couldn't care less about what's "correct" or whatever, having my foot in the middle of the pedal is most comfortable and relieved all the pain. FWIW, i have small feet (i buy kids shoes, no lie) and found it was the same on V8s, some straitlines, & jet blacks. Only pedals that never have this problem are Electrons. Husband says they're too flat, so maybe that's why they feel better ?

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I had that exact problem. Let a bit of pressure out of the tires and it helped a bit, but what helped even more was positioning my foot OUT of the traditional position. The edge of the pedal was right smack dab in the middle of the arch of my foot, which basically put all my weight on that edge. I couldn't care less about what's "correct" or whatever, having my foot in the middle of the pedal is most comfortable and relieved all the pain. FWIW, i have small feet (i buy kids shoes, no lie) and found it was the same on V8s, some straitlines, & jet blacks. Only pedals that never have this problem are Electrons. Husband says they're too flat, so maybe that's why they feel better ?
By chance, the pedals i had prior to the Saints, which I had the same problem with were Jet Blacks. It also sounds like my feet in the same sort of place, with the back edge of the pedal in the arch of my foot. I might try letting a little air out the tires and a few different foot postitions and see how things go.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think the major things have been covered already.
Foot position
Pedal size
Pedal design, some have higher or lower axels and can pressure your foot differently
Finally and may be a long shot but remember to remain loose.

dhd

Downhill Direct
You might have plantar fasciitis.... I have and it hurts like a mofo when descending especially through sections with a lot of pumping. Pretty much has stopped me racing DH.
Google it, there's a ton of info on it or go see your friendy foot doctor!

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
You might have plantar fasciitis.... I have and it hurts like a mofo when descending especially through sections with a lot of pumping. Pretty much has stopped me racing DH.
Google it, there's a ton of info on it or go see your friendy foot doctor!
Sounds possible also. I have had bad ankle problems for a while and have barely any arches in my foot. Might go see a doctor about it just to see if they have any excersizes or anything to help with it. Thanks

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I've heard fantastic things about warm lemon water. Apparently it works wonders, even stops menstruation.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put some lemon water on your foot. Not too much though as your feet may fall off, that lemon water is pretty powerful stuff Ill have you know.

*edit, the lemon man spammer got deleted:pout:

Last edited:

namlub3

Squid
Inner soles?
Otherwise moving the foot forward a little bit. When I'm on flats I try get the ball of my foot just near the front edge, I guess the axle only a little in front of the arch. But I have small feet so most platforms pretty much swallow my whole foot.
It's bloody hard to force yourself into a new foot position though.

There's always clips :D Now that will take some getting used to if you've never used them.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Inner soles?
Otherwise moving the foot forward a little bit. When I'm on flats I try get the ball of my foot just near the front edge, I guess the axle only a little in front of the arch. But I have small feet so most platforms pretty much swallow my whole foot.
It's bloody hard to force yourself into a new foot position though.

There's always clips :D Now that will take some getting used to if you've never used them.
Not exactly a fan of the clips haha, however i did try strapping just my right foot today (normally a bit more painful then my left one) just in a way that supports the arch of my foot a little and it seemed to pretty much eliminate the pain completely. Might just have to invest in a hell of oa lot of tape :D