For the Quick and Careless

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
There are always those moments when you're out in the middle of a ride, miles from nowhere and something on your bike breaks. For those situations, when you just don't have the equipment to fix it, you have to compensate.

I want to hear about some of your greatest bodge jobs or bushman tricks.

fatass

Banned
Not from me but I heard it somewhere, When a link in the chain breaks use the plastic thing on the end of your shoelace, You can only get like half-strokes but it's better than walking

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
snapped my deraliure hanger...

so i broke the chain took the damn deraliure off and single speed it...

problem was there wassnt enough tension in any of the gears so i used zipties..

ziptied the chain stay and around the chain then gradually pulled it to give it tension..

worked for about a weekk..

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Dislocated my shoulder. Started walking out of bush and then it hit me to use my pants belt as a sling to hold my arm up. Wasnt a bodge job on the bike but it was a bodge job regardless. And it held it quite comfortably for the 1 hr or so it took to walk out and then held it as I drove to the hospital:D

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My freind got a pinch flat at the dual slalom and lived on the other side of town so who rim rode it all the way home and it was a brnad new bike

Bent my chain dropping to flat could only half peddle then had to back peddle then peddle and so fourth

Snapped my derailleur hanger got pissed of and kicked it and broke my derailleur had to walk my bike all the way home with a mangle derailleur and chain rubbing along the ground

djdom

Likes Dirt
hmmm put 1 5c coin between my pad and piston because the pads where soo worn down.. tryed to go ss after some fatty snapped my hanger.. benny tee lost his jocky wheel so i made it so it ran on the bolt. thats about it im sure anybody i ride with can add to the list

strauss

Likes Dirt
not bike related but coming back from queensland our car broke down in the middle of no where. turns out it was a cracked radiator my mate fixed it with some super glue and a plastic spoons.. got us all the way to wollongong then blew up within being about 5 seconds into wollongong.
took us a bit longer but we eventually made it.

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
My crank fell off on a ride in the rock garden section of our track, so naturally i utilised one of natures hammers to reinstall the said component...Yes i did wreck it

Bat Man

Likes Bikes
Oh sweet! Bush Mechanics for bikes! Did anyone ever see that show? Sorry but i dont have any stories yet but ill try.

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not my story but i remember from one of vish's videos, seeing some dude with a snapped mountain cycle shockwave and wedging a big log into the frame to peice it back together.. dunno if he acctually rode it that way but if he did..... ghettoo....:eek:

dirt rider

Likes Dirt
I was watching a show ages ago about all the bodged up jobs for ya bike , And one of them got a flat tyre. So he took to tyre off with a stick , chucked away the tube and put a hose in instead

im sure it wouldnt be that great but good enough to get you home

d_j1

Likes Dirt
Perfect cure for flat tyre and no tube. Get one side of the tread off and remove the tube, and then pack the absolute shit out of the tread with grass and leaves until it becomes solid. I have personally tried this and you can get it hard enough that is rideable

murrum

Banned
as long as you have reasonably lightweight tubes - i have tried the knot tying technique when I have had a flat with a bit of success.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen the following:

Cassettes zip-tied to the spokes to fix wheel a broken freehub,
Broken carbon posts splinted with sticks and tape,
Broken seats/posts replaced with wrapped inflated tubes and clothing
Toothpaste tubes to stop tubes popping out gaping holes tyres.

rell6103

Likes Dirt
Two i think of for the moment,

The zip tie holding my brake line and gear cable onto the bike snapped and i found an old garbage bag and tied them back into place.

My crank fell off so i used a pebble to tighten up the allen bolt to hold them on.

Povi

Likes Dirt
a lot of zipties
tensioning my front derailleur which for some reason i use as a chain guide
holding my lever onto the rest of the lever bit (cant remember the name:eek:) and on my old bike a ziptie was used to hold the top of the lever bit (still cant remember the name:eek:) onto the rest of it, and another one holding the shifter onto the bar
SKETCHY

Tofsy

Likes Dirt
Yeah - we did the grass in the tyre trick as well! Pack enough in there and you can ride it :D

Pretty damn heavy though!

Pete

PS. We were outside the MCG so we probably could have walked to get another tube - but we thought it would be fun to stuff it with grass! :D

Attachments

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
Zip Ties Rock

Once I broke my derailer hanger, so I zip tied the derailer and the chain up to the chainstay, and rolled home, it worked pretty well.

Another time the stanchons came out of the lowers on my forks, so I ziptied the crown to the arch so I could get home. After i'd done that I realized I should have used a tube to do the same thing, which I think woulf have worked better.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Well, i've read about people tying tubes from the arch to the crown of their forks when the cartridges had blown to try and stop them topping out...