Fork for Cube Sting HPC 2010?

MARKL

Eats Squid
I recently purchased a 2010 Cube Sting HPC frame on ebay for the grand sum of $54.50 (no typo):eek:. The frame required a repair to the bottom pivot bolt but I have been able to get that fixed so now I have a new (for me) carbon frame - 120mm travel both ends that I need to build up.:D

My plan is to swap most of the gear from my XC bike to the Cube and bar a couple of exceptions (seat post/bottom bracket/fork) and adaptors (X142 for Crossmax SLR's) that should be possible.

For the new fork I was considering a 2011 Fox 32 TALAS 150 RLC FIT 15mm/tappered - which has 120/150mm travel -what I would like to be able to do is ride normally in the 120mm setting and then if I am heading down something a bit more tech and want the extra travel flick a lever and there it is.

My question is do you think 150mm travel would be too much for that frame? From a strength durability perspective - as I plan on riding it mainly in the 120mm setting geo would not be affected and when I change to 150mm geo would be beneficial. Bike would be primarily a trail bike and I would use to do small gaps and roll offs for anything more technical/rougher I would use my downhill or AM bike.

Description of bike below. i did check the Cube website and it was very German and towed the party line of - no don't change the fork length warranty voided etc but thats not really an issue at $54.50 is it. Bit more descrition of the frame and standard build is below.

Cheers and thanks for your assistance.

- Frame - HPC Monocoque DTC Advanced Twin Mold Technology
- Size - 16inch, 18inch, 20inch, 22inch
- Colour - Blackline or Teamline
- Forks - Fox 32 F120RLC 120mm, Lockout, 15mm
- Rear shocks - Fox Float RP23 190mm length
- Headset - Acros AI-72
- Stem - Syntace F119 Oversized
- Handlebars - Syntace Vector Carbon Lowrider Oversized
- Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR RD-M972 Shadow
- Front Derailleur - Shimano XTR FD-M970, Top Swing 34.9mm
- Gear shifter - Shimano XTR SL-M970 Rapidfire-Plus, 9-speed
- Brakes - Formula R1 Carbon hydraulic brakes (180/180mm)
- Crank set - Shimano XTR FC-M970 Hollowtech II 44x32x22Z., 175mm, Press-Fit bearings
- Cassette - Shimano XTR CS-M970 11-32T, 9-speed
- Chain - Shimano CN-HG93
- Rims - DT Swiss XPW1600 VR:15mm/HR:X12mm
- Tyre - Schwalbe Rocket Ron Kevlar Triple Compound 2.25
- Pedal - Crank Brothers Eggbeater
- Seat - Fi'zi:k Tundra Carbon
- Seat post - Syntace P6 Carbon 31.6mm
- Weight - 2190g

Geometry:

- Size - 16inch / 18inch / 20inch / 22inch
- Top Tube - 529 / 540 / 551 / 562
- Head Tube - 120 / 130 / 140 / 150
- Wheel Base - 1104 / 1117 / 1130 / 1143
- Seat Tube - 410 / 460 / 500 / 535
- Seat Tube Angle - 74°
- Chainstay - 428
- Head Tube Angle - 69.5°

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
wow, seller must be glad he went with the 99c auction on that one. BURNED!!

I'd just buy a 120mm fork and use the TALAS cartridge for something useful, eg for inexplicably closing doors in amateur thrillers, on a sex education doll or to supplement the gas strut that holds up your car bonnet (taller mechanics will appreciate this).

You'll end up running it at 150 all the time, you'll wonder why you even HAVE an all-mountain bike because this one is so much lighter, you'll sell the AM bike and the next week the HT will break off the Cube.

99c auction for Cube chainstay!

- Joel

MARKL

Eats Squid
Have to admit my AM bike is focussed more on down than up - Totem's are an AM fork aren't they?

So yeah it will be substantially lighter than the beast that has AM duties - I can't bring myself to call it a mini DH bike.

I see the Cube taking over from my XC bike basically so I think it will run mainly at 120mm with occasional use of the 150mm setting. Kind of the reverse of how they normally market these forks I know. I do wonder if it will lead to ripping off the HT or other disasters...any other thoughts?