Fork grease

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi guys, i was browsing through crc lubricants section bumping my latest order for free shipping, and come across this Stendec Easy Glide Fork Grease

can some one actually tell me in lay terms how you would use this? is it just applied to the stanchions or with in the fork lowers? and is there a better product that is around?

crooker

Likes Dirt
Jump on diymtb.com and have a look at slickoleum. Basicly you strip the lowers off the stantions and clean your seals, bushs etc and apply it on the seals, wipers and wont hurt on the bush's either.

Kramer

FoBR
Yep, use heaps with fork rebuild around the seals.

I have only ever used Slick Honey so can't comment on this particular product.

fairy1

Banned
slick honey was the product i was trying to think of to compare this too
I've used the Stendec and it's crap compared to Slickoleum.
I started a thread like this ages ago and "landon" informed that Slickoleum and Slick Honey are the same thing made for different markets.
Slickoleum is way cheaper, possibly because it's not sold through DW.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so slickolium is the best and cheaper option to use? does anyone stock it in aus?
im on their site, and you can buy direct through them, so may do that.

fairy1

Banned
so slickolium is the best and cheaper option to use? does anyone stock it in aus?
im on their site, and you can buy direct through them, so may do that.
Yeah not sure now, DIY-MTB do deal with shops but I doubt anyone would stock it. Order the tub not the tube, from memory there isn't much difference in price.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i was thinking about the 1gallon paint tin. WOOWEEE. sarcastic over kill.

yeah on the site can only buy tubs, was thinking the 8ounce tub, though how much is generally do you apply? i couldnt think a great deal?

kungy

Likes Bikes
i bought the 8 oz tub a few weeks back and serviced my fork and shock on the weekend. Based on how little i used i don't think i'll be running out for a few years.

I even used it on some other parts when i was fitting parts back on after the service. I was literally just using the grease on the tub lid.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used Stendec Easy Glide on my 40s last time i serviced them, they are running pretty well, cant really notice much difference to the stock. I was recommended slick honey though - but you cant get it on crc.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RRP for big tub of SlickHoney ~$90, for same size tub of Slickoleum was ~$35.

I have both greases, its basically the same stuff, and the only fork grease Ill touch now.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Slick Honey vs Slickoleum

Yeah, Slick Honey and Slickoleum are very similar, but not exactly the same. I'd guess the recipe is almost the same, with Slickoleum being a little thicker. For the price, Slickoleum through DIYMTB is the winner I reckon.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I used Stendec Easy Glide on my 40s last time i serviced them, they are running pretty well, cant really notice much difference to the stock. I was recommended slick honey though - but you cant get it on crc.
I use stendec, i like it.
Had a full service done on the forks and Tekin mentioned whatever im doing keep doing it as wear was minimal.
remember if you store the bike upside down the splashlube(oil) will keep it extra yummy! Also wipe the dust of the staunchions all the time to stop unwanted contamination.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use stendec, i like it.
Had a full service done on the forks and Tekin mentioned whatever im doing keep doing it as wear was minimal.
remember if you store the bike upside down the splashlube(oil) will keep it extra yummy! Also wipe the dust of the staunchions all the time to stop unwanted contamination.
YAY - Good to have some + feed back for stendec, i was getting worried for a while. Tekin are awesome!

fairy1

Banned
Oh I forgot to add, Fork Juice spray is the best thing since unsliced bread, it seems to coat the stanchions unlike normal silicone sprays which can just bead off, I'm normally a hater of everything but this stuff is great and is suprisingly cheap!

Sorry for the grave dig, but thought this might be useful.
I needed some fork grease in a hurry, and didn't have time for online shipment (or the cost) and none of the local bike shops had slick honey/slickoleum.
All I needed was a generic equivelant.
What I found was inox mx6 with PTFE (aka Teflon)
It is a food safe grease, light weight and perfect for rubber seals (unlike litum grease)
Was only $5 for a 35g tube from the local bearing and power transmission shop. I've only used about 5g on a Boxxer service so pretty good value I reckon.

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail.php?productID=5&pageID=OVERVIEW