fork/stantion lube..

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:)Hi all,could you please suggest some lubricants as a part of my regular maintenance/cleaning of my forks.My LBS {although they are good guys] used to mainly deal in road bikes, and as yet don,t stock fork lube.All suggestions will be appreciated-cheers rick :)

nspud

Squid
forks shouldent need lube, if you want to clean the upper legs tri flow is the only thing i would use. but wipe off any access. forks have an internal lubing system to keep themselves oiled. the dust seal works like a windscreen wiper over the fork legs so most of what you put on will be wiped off. tri flow is very thin and will keep the dust seals soft enough to do there job.

a service one a year is good for them, seals will be replaced and the oil will be changed. when we service forks we oftern find dirt in the lowers. dirt causes scratching, and scratches cause leaks.

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
Internals vise a synthetic oil to what ever weight is need to your fork, generally 5-15w.I use Silicon spray to clean the seals and just keep the a bit more moist when not being ridin.Dirt will stick to this when riding so i wipe it off it off b4 riding.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can just wipe some 'Slick Honey' on them at the end of rides when you get home and just work your forks in and out for a bit. Help wash the dirt out of the seals and keeps your forks in order.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
I love internet forums.

There is no need to put any lube on your stanchions (yes, correct spelling!).
Just wipe down them down with a clean cloth after every ride, and get get a full rebuild every 30~h of riding... but like anyone is gonna do that :rolleyes:

Using Fox forks as an example, have a look at this link and click on "Service Intervals" on the left column.
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/010/eng/index.html

Hope I helped!

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks to all for the tips/advice,and a " special " Thankyou to Cypress for bringing that error in spelling to my attention.I will try harder in future!/:) Cheers Rick..

Last edited: