Forks for a giant XTC

onrails

Likes Bikes
Hey guys I have a 08/09 approx giant xtc 1 (red and silver version) it came with the reba remote lockout forks.
They have packed it in now and I was wanting to get a replacement for for the bike. As I am a bit por atm I was
chasing a second hand fork, What would you guys recommend for me? main use is on streets but there is a bit of XC too.

cheers Matt

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys I have a 08/09 approx giant xtc 1 (red and silver version) it came with the reba remote lockout forks.
They have packed it in now and I was wanting to get a replacement for for the bike. As I am a bit por atm I was
chasing a second hand fork, What would you guys recommend for me? main use is on streets but there is a bit of XC too.

cheers Matt
How "packed it in" are the forks, have you tried to get them fixed? it might be cheaper then getting some new ones.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
How "packed it in" are the forks, have you tried to get them fixed? it might be cheaper then getting some new ones.
+1

I'd explore this option before anything, especially on a tight budget. They're a great fork!

onrails

Likes Bikes
+1

I'd explore this option before anything, especially on a tight budget. They're a great fork!
they need a full rebuild from what I remember haven't riden it for over year. The guy at the shop said it would I would be better off getting a secondhand fork or if ad the money a new one as they were gone. From hat I can tell you about them they have no air tired refilling it but nothing ... I am in perth and from what I understand I would have to send the fork over east?

I am a bit of a noob in this department.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
You could have a look in the For Sale section for any 100mm travel forks. 120mm will work as well, but the length will likely slacken the head angle a degree or so.

From memory the XtCs haven't ended up with a tapered steerer, so you're probably looking for a straight 1.125" steerer tube.

Dual air forks will be lighter (and more expensive) than coil forks.

On a side note, without years use, how is the headset? Mine had developed a bad case of rust when I went to disassemble to bike for a rebuild.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think that rebuilt Rebas will be better than anything you can get second hand for the same money. Try another bike shop for an opinion.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can't find a good bike shop that does servicing in your area then look up others such as Phantom Cycles / TBSM etc, it would cost you extra but you could always post your forks to them. Yes that might end up costing a reasonable amount but like others have said it's still probably cheaper than a decent 2nd hand fork and at least you know how well your fork has been treated (if it's had a hard life yeah maybe it's not worthwhile servicing?).

You could argue that for a couple of hundred more you could just buy a new fork though.

For example something like this, it's probably a step up from what the current model 26" wheel Giant XTC comes with (air versions would cost a bit more again but lighter, this would be noticeably heavier than the Reba but lighter than a Tora. The Reba has a great reputation though, probably worthwhile keeping.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71179

With anything 2nd hand you can't necessarily guarantee that it won't need a service anyway (unless it's been done already or the fork is near new).

onrails

Likes Bikes
If you can't find a good bike shop that does servicing in your area then look up others such as Phantom Cycles / TBSM etc, it would cost you extra but you could always post your forks to them. Yes that might end up costing a reasonable amount but like others have said it's still probably cheaper than a decent 2nd hand fork and at least you know how well your fork has been treated (if it's had a hard life yeah maybe it's not worthwhile servicing?).

You could argue that for a couple of hundred more you could just buy a new fork though.

For example something like this, it's probably a step up from what the current model 26" wheel Giant XTC comes with (air versions would cost a bit more again but lighter, this would be noticeably heavier than the Reba but lighter than a Tora. The Reba has a great reputation though, probably worthwhile keeping.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71179

With anything 2nd hand you can't necessarily guarantee that it won't need a service anyway (unless it's been done already or the fork is near new).
ok cool, I will have a chat to a place here and see what they say, I have enjoyed the reba and would get another one for sure. One feature I would love to have again is the remote lockout.
I am pretty poor atm although I may be getting a bonus in the near future so this would enable me to spend around 700-900 on a fork do you guys think I should do that?
if so what would be a good option in that range?
Cheers

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Still think rebuilt Rebas are your best option. I had Rebas on my Norco XTC FS1.0 and rate them better than most anything else I have ridden since. If you have $$$$$$$$ to throw at an expensive fork consider selling your bike and/or upgrading components and a rebuild with the cash rather than just fitting an expensive fork.

onrails

Likes Bikes
Still think rebuilt Rebas are your best option. I had Rebas on my Norco XTC FS1.0 and rate them better than most anything else I have ridden since. If you have $$$$$$$$ to throw at an expensive fork consider selling your bike and/or upgrading components and a rebuild with the cash rather than just fitting an expensive fork.
ok nice one will suss out the rebuild, if the cash comes get some gear.
Sorry if i am asking too many questions but how long will the components on the bike last, im running all XT and have some USA DH rims on it because i buckle everything else cost around $1700 the brand name eludes me ATM.

What would you guys do if you were in my position?

Many thanks