Formula, Jagwire or Goodridge brake hose?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Anyone got any experience with either of these brands?

Running some Formula RO's on the new bike, but due to a more adventoruous cable route, the current formula hose is not long enough.

I'd buy more formula lines, but it's the most expensive about $65 a brake, whilst the goodridge is about $52 and the jagwire is slightly less again (with pleny of colour options).

Any advantage to aftermarket lines? Weight? performance? looks?

I put braided lines on my sports bike a few years ago and... meh, I liked stoppies/endos but it made no difference.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Not real helpful sorry.
But I'd buy some cheap Formulas of here in the for sale section. Put your short line on the used brakes and on-sell or keep as a spare set. You'll also get brake pads this way.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used Jagwire a couple of times with no issues

You buy the hoses and then the correct fitment kit for your brakes

I used them because of the different colours you can get

ChopSticks

Banned
Had some goodridge braided hoses.
not sure about weight (before my weight weenie days) but they are def heavier than stock.
the fittings alone are at least 2-3x the weight of stock, and bare in mind the hoses are braided... So much heavier.
Comes in popular colours
they are however a bitch to cut (even with cable cutters)
I don't have a proper hydraulic hose cutter but I found the best method was to use a brand new Stanley knife blade (carbide treated one) line it up and smack it once with a hammer to cut it like a guillotine.

Can't comment on brake fade/performance with braided hoses.... Unless you're hammering a 5mins uci wc
run with a fist full of brakes.... I doubt the general punter will notice the difference/performance of braided hoses.

another thing to note.... The OD of the goodridge hoses are fairly thick... Cant tell you for sure.... So if you plan on routing it internally in your new nomad... It's something to consider.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I used Goodrige on my Meta build. Yeah they're thicker but I had no issues with the internal routing.

Fittings are good, hose is good, anyone that says their brakes feel better/more powerful is kidding themselves.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have goodies on 1 bike with avid elixir cr's and jags on another with saints...and yes the goodridge lines feel way better.
there is some movement in the jags as they are Kevlar coated not steel..both have good fittings, but I would go the goodridge hoses again over jags every time despite the price

redbruce

Eats Squid
Anyone got any experience with either of these brands?

Running some Formula RO's on the new bike, but due to a more adventoruous cable route, the current formula hose is not long enough.

I'd buy more formula lines, but it's the most expensive about $65 a brake, whilst the goodridge is about $52 and the jagwire is slightly less again (with pleny of colour options).

Any advantage to aftermarket lines? Weight? performance? looks?

I put braided lines on my sports bike a few years ago and... meh, I liked stoppies/endos but it made no difference.
Have used aftermarket upgrade brake hose on my car, motorbike and MTB (Goodridge on the former two with OEM brakes, Jagwire on latter with Elixirs).

Can only tell a difference between OEM and upgrade on the first two. Couldn't tell difference between OEM Avid and Jagwire.

Suspect pressures involved mean MTB brakes less likely to see benefit. I'd get the one that matches your colour scheme.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

Just a quick update,

Ordered some Jagwire hoses and the fittings, worked out as the cheapest option.

Was eventually swayed by the colour options, now I can have matching brakes, gear and dropper post cable, this warms my heart. Hopefully sterling silver doesn't look retarded on a matt black frame.

scblack

Leucocholic
Oooh I hate the look of coloured cables. Black is the only option as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion.:behindsofa:

Mywifesirrational

Oooh I hate the look of coloured cables. Black is the only option as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion.:behindsofa:
I completely agree but my threshold is for black or silver, the silver lines on the hope brakes are quite classy yet still discrete. I'm hoping these are pretty much the same, with the braided look to them.

scblack

Leucocholic
I completely agree but my threshold is for black or silver, the silver lines on the hope brakes are quite classy yet still discrete. I'm hoping these are pretty much the same, with the braided look to them.
Fair call yes silver is acceptable too, I agree. The braided ones such as Goodridge can look good.