formula oro puro or avid juicy ultimate (08)

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi there.
what brake would be best?
im building myself a street bike for at the bowl and doing stuff like manuals, barspins, dj and stuff.
so i have looked at loads of brakes and have it down to formula oro puro and avid juicy ultimate 08s.
keeping in mind, price nor weight is not an issue and i will only be running one for a rear.
what would be best for the average street rider?
cheers

Welcome to farkin the home of biased opinions and uninformed answers.

My mate is running formula oro k18's with the upgrade of pad adjust. They are a lower model to the puro's but they are an awesome brake when bleed well. So much deathly stopping power but still with heaps of modulation.

Vote 1 formulas, there are currently 2 distributors in aus so you can always get spare parts.

But you are asking the general public and they are all brand whores that will say avid.

Brodie_78Kt

Likes Dirt
I say the ultimate because they are cool!!

They cool cooler than the puro!!

And a dude i know has one and it's awesome!! and he loves it!!

but if you where going for originlity i would go the puro

tu plang

knob
Welcome to farkin the home of biased opinions and uninformed answers.
I was about to have a go at you... and then....

I say the ultimate because they are cool!!

They cool cooler than the puro!!

And a dude i know has one and it's awesome!! and he loves it!!

but if you where going for originlity i would go the puro
Jesus Christ.

I have been a hope fanboy, turned shimano loyalist who was going to put oros on his last bike and just got a set of avids.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. I like the feel of the oros a lot and hadn't been a fan of avids but i've been happy with my carbons.

udi

swiss cheese
The avid lever is WAY nicer to use, period. The pivot position makes a huge difference IMO, and that combined with the blade shape and length all make for a much more ergonomic lever on the avid.

Aside from that, there's no big difference - they both weigh in similarly and have lashings of titanium and carbon. The formula's have toploading pads which are handy, but a comfy lever means a lot more so I'd still pick the avid.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Pay no notice to Udi. He's the resident tech nerd who doesn't actually ride his bike :)

;)

John U

MTB Precision
The Oro Puro's are awesome but my opinion is hardly unbiased. I ave been using my set for a couple of years now and have had no issues.

James Williamson reviewed them in Enduro 6 which came out towards the end of last year.

He had this to say, 'They offer the best modulation and feel I've experience in a disc brake, are easy to set up, look trick and are super light'.

This was high praise from someone who has spent a lot of time on a bike. He also said the price was a bit steep but we are working on that.

PM me if you need any further details about the Formula brakes.

Cheers,
John

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but wouldn't people who do dj things with their bikes rather have the on/off feel rather than a modulated feel?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
K18/K24/Puro are exactly the same system, just with different bolts and (I think) the K24 has sintered pads and FCS (puro does too. It's a nice feature but pretty superfluous in practice)

So any of those three will be superb. I recommend the K24 for street because it comes with stronger bolts and a stronger lever, as well as sintered pads (but I think the puro may come with these too???) and all the 2piston formulas are easily powerful enough to run 140mm on the back.

The Juicy Ultimates are nice, but not as comfortable, not as powerful and not as strong as the ORO series. They are lighter, but they are an XC brake. They lack the stronger bolts of the K24 as well.

If you were an XC racer, I'd recommend Ultimates, but after riding formulas, I'd say get them. (keep in mind that you can find a set of ultimates for the price of one end of Puros)

With the distributor just a PM away that should be the deciding factor. Warranty and customer service is something else you need to consider when purchasing a new product. Good luck trying to get any love at all from monza when it comes to customer service.

And he's still faster than you!
so is this kid :eek: