Forrest 6 Hour - June 5 2011

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
O.K. So I asked the question at tonight's club meeting.

Big thumbs-up for extra trophies. :clap2:

We already have a custom design MTB trophy produced locally, so will use these as well as the "normal" trophies

Regards

Roland
Yay for all who are lucky enough on the day!

Thanks Roland.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
The solution to this to me is simple:
When you take entries, they enter one of a single breakdown of categories:
- Solo
- Teams

That's it.

On the entry form, you ask for DOB, Gender, whether they're riding singlespeed for each member of the team. And you tell people that as organisers you'll form categories based on what has an appropriate number of entries. This whole thing of catering for people who won't race just because they're not competitive just because they choose to bring less gears, or because there has to be a category they know they're capable of finishing top 3 in is just lame.

If you get only 3 teams of 3 entered you just don't split out triples. Only got 2 riders over 40? Easy, you don't split it out into 40+. Got 50 singlespeeders? Great, give them a category they deserve. What's that, the breakdown of solo riders is 30 riders aged <30, 40 aged 30-39, 20 aged 40+? Sounds sufficient to offer Expert, Vets and Masters on top of Elite being the overall.

For an 'Elite' event where you want to offer cash prizes in particular categories this doesn't make as much sense, but when you're holding a 'participation'/fun event where you don't want that kind of atmosphere, this makes total sense to me.
A singlespeed open class is not that outlandish at all, I appreciate any and all events that have an SS class, even if I turn up with gears. I race SS in most events though, even if there is a class for it or not. I also like events that designed SS next to the rider's name on the results if there is no specific SS class.

If 20+ people show up in certain age groups it doesn't hurt to split either.. It's really quite useless to have 175 people racing in a single open class, the category splits will breed more competition.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But with events like the Forrest 6hr, the total number of solo riders over all categories is around 100-120 from memory, so the chances of splitting the single speed category into age groups is unlikely, even if there is a single speed category allocated.

Being 40+ myself, I wouldn't mind riding in open single speed.

Anyone has the option to include SS after their name (in the same data field) when they enter their details I think. I've seen it done before.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
But with events like the Forrest 6hr, the total number of solo riders over all categories is around 100-120 from memory, so the chances of splitting the single speed category into age groups is unlikely, even if there is a single speed category allocated.

Being 40+ myself, I wouldn't mind riding in open single speed.

Anyone has the option to include SS after their name (in the same data field) when they enter their details I think. I've seen it done before.
Happy to be corrected, but I believe it was James Maebus, (spelling??), who entered two years ago and rode the Forrest 6hour

wait for it

wait for it

on a single speed cyclocross bike!!!!

Roland

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, I remember a cyclocross rider, but I don't recall his name. Didn't he have problems with a collapsed wheel?

Kudos for trying anyway.

Blores Hill 6hr would have been perfect for that type of bike. Very smooth, with only a short (albeit brutal) rocky section.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
My mate passed him on a climb and asked him how it was going. His reply: "Every time I have to do one of these climbs I just want to shoot myself".

Laugh? I nearly shat!

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Yes, I remember a cyclocross rider, but I don't recall his name. Didn't he have problems with a collapsed wheel?

Kudos for trying anyway.

Blores Hill 6hr would have been perfect for that type of bike. Very smooth, with only a short (albeit brutal) rocky section.
In defence of 'cross bikes, my girlfriend has ridden her cross bike on most of the Forrest trail network, admittedly not anywhere near race speed, and has had no problems.

She often takes the 'cross out in winter in preference to the MTB as the skinny tyres cut through the loose surface better.

Roland

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an old 1980's Apollo Concorde which I have plans to convert to a single speed cross bike at some stage in the next 20 years. I can see their benefits.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Happy to be corrected, but I believe it was James Maebus, (spelling??), who entered two years ago and rode the Forrest 6hour

wait for it

wait for it

on a single speed cyclocross bike!!!!

Roland
You mean <gulp> this bike?

http://mtb-images.dyndns.org:1088/galleries/other/20100606/photos/James_Maebus__MG_7207.jpg

He rode the bike in a number of events - always took me by surprise - I recall asking Tim who it was riding the road bike each time I saw him as, at the time, I had no idea what type of bike it was. I can;t find the photo's right now, but there was another rider who regularly rode one as well - an all blue frame from memory.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Forrest 6 Hour 2012

Hi Guys,

I read an article re the Forrest Festival just gone and it mentioned the Forrest 6 hour is the next big town event (not sure if the OO counts then).

It mentioned it was May 2012. Can this be confirmed or denied?

I'm just putting together my yearly proposal for dates and weekends away to the Minister of Domestic Affairs and Treasury and would love to know the correct date.

Cheers,
Ferg

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I read an article re the Forrest Festival just gone and it mentioned the Forrest 6 hour is the next big town event (not sure if the OO counts then).

It mentioned it was May 2012. Can this be confirmed or denied?

I'm just putting together my yearly proposal for dates and weekends away to the Minister of Domestic Affairs and Treasury and would love to know the correct date.

Cheers,
Ferg
Failure to mention Kona Odyssey was made by a local newspaper reporter.

The next big CLUB event in town is the 6Hour. (SATURDAY MAY 5, 2012)

Although the Red Carpet shuttle day is becomming very popular as well. :tape:

Regards

Roland