Forrest Conditions? 15/01/2011

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
We're thinking of heading to Forrest tomorrow AM. Just wondering if the trails are open and/or how much rain they've received in that area.

Thanks!

btothec

Likes Dirt
Unsure of the trail conditions. Forrest got 120 mm of rain during the week. Trails were bone dry and quite dusty this time last week so hopefully the rain hasn't messed things up to bad seeing I'm planning on heading out there tomorrow as well.

hilo

Likes Bikes
I went for a ride Sunday afternoon--there was certainly a bit of mud around, and a few 'bogs' that should disappear soon. Nothing insurmountable, though it may take the flow out of your ride a bit :)

--Hi Lo

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
February 5 update

G'Day All,

Most of the weather has, and looks like missing us to the north.

Therefore

ALL FORREST TRAILS ARE OPEN, DRY AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

Roland

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'Day All,

Most of the weather has, and looks like missing us to the north.

Therefore

ALL FORREST TRAILS ARE OPEN, DRY AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

Roland
My prayers must have been answered :)

Even the roads are shit to ride on in Melbourne at the mo...

B liner

Cannon Fodder
I rode Forrest @ christmas which was great as usual but the down hill trail from Lake Elizabeth and Follow the dog trail were badly overgrown.

Has there been any trail maint since?

Love that FTD trail; It must have been designed by a saddist! It takes all I've got then some.

Beej1

Rode there yesterday. Trails in awesome condition. Many trees down though. i imagine they'll be cleared before OO weekend.

JessD

Likes Dirt
Otway Odyssey Trail conditions

Rode there yesterday. Trails in awesome condition. Many trees down though. i imagine they'll be cleared before OO weekend.
I think I remember there being 3 trees down in Kaang Quarry section and one tree down on Red Carpet for the whole Otways 100km.

A bunch of us did the 100 from AB to Forrest. We detoured the private property section. we rode down to it, turned around and then took the wet weather wild dog rd option.
The rest of the time we followed the race route.
The private property section is most likely looking like somewhere in the back blocks of Vietnam right now...however the trees down in the Kaang quarry bit have been down on the trail for about 6 weeks now. I imagine these will get looked at early next week.
As for the one down in Red Carpet, most likely the same.
The hardest thing about the ride yesterday was the slick conditions of the steep climb in West Barwon Tk and the Noonday granny climbs as well as the descents in these sections. slippery and treacherous in wet conditions.
All single track was great, bog holes in J2 have been there since November, final 13km is tip top except I guess Sledgehammer could be a bit smoother right now!
Praying that the rain fall experienced else where in Vic does not visit the otways right now and in the next 2 weeks.

Beej1

I think I remember there being 3 trees down in Kaang Quarry section and one tree down on Red Carpet for the whole Otways 100km.
Yup, saw those 3 on Kaang ... or was it 4 now that I remember that one right at the beginning? Or maybe I'm remembering the gate as one of them. Dunno. Also got a sore neck from ducking under all the overgrown scrub. Combined with the slippery loamy surface made for a fun ride down to the quarry.

We rode the OO50 course, and there were at least another 4 trees down on those trails in Yaugher as well. One of them was a monster ... bout a metre diameter I reckon. Must've been some big winds that day.

Only two really muddy sections - one after Yoyo I think, on a bit of firetrail which had a makeshift detour added. Another on track 15 which was more rideable with black mud. We called this part 'Lysterfield'.

JessD

Likes Dirt
trees down

Yup, saw those 3 on Kaang ... or was it 4 now that I remember that one right at the beginning? Or maybe I'm remembering the gate as one of them. Dunno. Also got a sore neck from ducking under all the overgrown scrub. Combined with the slippery loamy surface made for a fun ride down to the quarry.

We rode the OO50 course, and there were at least another 4 trees down on those trails in Yaugher as well. One of them was a monster ... bout a metre diameter I reckon. Must've been some big winds that day.

Only two really muddy sections - one after Yoyo I think, on a bit of firetrail which had a makeshift detour added. Another on track 15 which was more rideable with black mud. We called this part 'Lysterfield'.
if you can tell us where the big tree was... would be great, was it on that silly up and down section of vista? then we can tell dse and then removal will occur

Beej1

if you can tell us where the big tree was... would be great, was it on that silly up and down section of vista? then we can tell dse and then removal will occur
Umm ... trying to remember where they all were. After the OO50 course hits Vista, you follow the fenceline along the border of the forest and there was a smallish one down along there I think. Then you cross the road near the gate to that farm, and climb a bit, then head back down and cross the road again, and I think the big one was down there somewhere before you make your way back up towards the road again. It's actually on a hairpin, and you can just walk 3 steps to the right and you're back on the other side of it. It would be pretty easy to detour if they can't remove it in time.

There was actually one more pretty big one I just remembered crossing, with 2 of it's large branches across the trail, but I'm afraid I can't remember where. The rest were small enough for a handsaw I seem to remember. I guess the best bet - if the plan is to remove them - would be for someone to ride the trail.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. If I'd gotten around to buying my GPS I could've flagged them. D'oh! Stoopid purchase justification!