Forrest Festival 2011

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Hopefully we don't get too much rain before the 15k is over, those trails are not fun in the wet!
is the first stage 25km or 15km? either way ben, you're that quick you'll probably be finished and beaten the rain whilst the rest of us are riding through the mud :)

btothec

Likes Dirt
Trail Conditions

I walked parts of no 4 & 5 today while setting up bunting for Saturday and where we were working today was bone dry and very hard packed. Will be riding no 6 tomorrow and the rest of no 5 to finish off marking I would think they would be pretty much the same.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just keeps getting better!

Weatherzone now predicts a high chance of up to 40mm of rain overnight and up to 20mm on Saturday. WTF???

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/western/forrest

It pisses me off no end. I feel for the organisers that have clearly busted a gut, and us entrants who were looking forward to what were perfect conditions. :mmph:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weatherzone now predicts a high chance of up to 40mm of rain overnight and up to 20mm on Saturday. WTF???

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/western/forrest

It pisses me off no end. I feel for the organisers that have clearly busted a gut, and us entrants who were looking forward to what were perfect conditions. :mmph:
true, but let's remember we are mountain bikers, it does rain and it does get muddy. So we slid a little, we back off a bit, we get wet, we get muddy, but never loss the smile on your face doing what you enjoy. It can't possibly be as bad as the last OO, and we've just got to be adaptable that's all.

keep this in mind when you are sliding out of control down a hill:
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
true, but let's remember we are mountain bikers, it does rain and it does get muddy. So we slid a little, we back off a bit, we get wet, we get muddy, but never loss the smile on your face doing what you enjoy. It can't possibly be as bad as the last OO, and we've just got to be adaptable that's all.

keep this in mind when you are sliding out of control down a hill:
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
Nice advice MTB.

I'm spewing because I know how perfect Forrest MTBing can be when everything gels. I hate the slop, but I'm sure it will still be awesome fun and an unforgettable adventure. :)

Weather be buggered. I'm there.
See you there tomorrow morning Timmy! I'll be easy to spot, just look for the grumpy one...

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Local update...

Light amount of damp air this morning... followed by a very warm dry day.

Trails are dry, hardpacked and FAAAAASSSSSSTTTT!

btothec

Likes Dirt
I concur with that. Rode all of Stage 1 today to finish off marking it. It surprised me how dry and fast they all are compared to last time I rode them. Follow the Dog at the moment is serious fun!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Forrest Festival 2011 Day 1 Results

Here are the individual stage and combined results (with time bonuses) after Day 1.

Tonight's Eliminator has been cancelled due to weather (something about the main street being knee deep in water)

View attachment FF_2011_Stage_1.pdf
View attachment FF_2011_Stage_2.pdf
View attachment FF_2011_Stage_3.pdf
View attachment FF_2011_Day_1.pdf the combined time results after day 1

And a couple of muddy happy snaps are in this album including the best way of cleaning off all that mud.

Le Matelot

Stage 4 is Underway

They got off at 1030 - a slight delay while a few swamps that had drained overnight were topped up :distrust: Expect the winners about 1300.

Fine weather today (so far). 30% chance of 1mm of rain ... Some narrow leads to protect in the Elite Men and Women.

Le Matelot

Stage 4 Progress

In Elite Men, Josh Carlson has just dropped Peter Kutschera with about 40 minutes to go. Jess Douglas has a 1 minute lead in the Elite Women.