VIC Found. 4 pot Shimano caliper

moorey

call me Mia
Item. Just one caliper needed. Only actually need decent pistons, so cosmetics irrelevant.
Condition. As long as pistons aren’t like in the ones I recently bought ‘as new’
Location. Ballarat
Price. Less than the $50 for replacement pistons or $75 for new deore caliper.
Other info. Could swap for other shimano parts. Should have a complete m785 or m8000 caliper or other various shite.

Don’t ask me how previous owner managed this.
8E2E93EC-2258-42F4-96C8-EEDC22F5AAE7.jpeg

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
MT520 calipers have the same ceramic pistons, straight in line and bleed valve as Deore if you can find one.
Cheers. Yeah, cheapest option at around $70. I've taken pistons out of a spare Zee for now. Miraculously, seals in XT are fine. The Zee was unlikely to be used anyway, but will repair it if something cheap turns up.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not even just one :confused:

Jammed a screwdriver in there and yoinked it on one side.

My mate cracked one on a dual piston a few years back, was only when a moon shaped bit fell out that he realised they were ceramic.

moorey

call me Mia
Not even just one :confused:

Jammed a screwdriver in there and yoinked it on one side.

My mate cracked one on a dual piston a few years back, was only when a moon shaped bit fell out that he realised they were ceramic.
I’ve chipped outer face using incorrect tools in a pinch, and completely cracked one….but these were all inside, behind the seal. I think they’ve been pushed in on an angle, but never seen anything like this.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
FWIW I've done something similar with a Saint caliper. Beware handling errors (i.e. actually pack your shit properly with bubble wrap / protection when in storage).

moorey

call me Mia
FWIW I've done something similar with a Saint caliper. Beware handling errors (i.e. actually pack your shit properly with bubble wrap / protection when in storage).
Good to know. I only checked these because one piston was returning inconsistently. Was going to give the seals a bit of lube. Went to press the offending piston in, and could hear crunching. When I pulled it out, there were big chunks behind the piston. Pulled them all out to check, and 3 of the 4 were the same.

moorey

call me Mia
Assuming full set (2 brakes);
Run a 4 pot on the front and buy a new 2 pot M8100 for the rear ?
Got plenty of 2pot XT calipers I could use. Prefer to stay matchy. Like I say, sorted for now with the Zee pistons, after some to revive that. Probably easier to just pick up another Zee caliper….to sit in a box for another 6 years.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can tell you that Hope pistons don't fit despite what you read online.
Ask me how I know......
I also have a mint Saint caliper without pistons

safreek

Item. Just one caliper needed. Only actually need decent pistons, so cosmetics irrelevant.
Condition. As long as pistons aren’t like in the ones I recently bought ‘as new’
Location. Ballarat
Price. Less than the $50 for replacement pistons or $75 for new deore caliper.
Other info. Could swap for other shimano parts. Should have a complete m785 or m8000 caliper or other various shite.

View attachment 392445
The "other owner" ;)

moorey

call me Mia
Update. One of the cracked piston shards must have damaged a seal. 5 min into ride, the squealing starts, then zero power….
Will try to investigate, and swap out the offending seal. Dagnabbit.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Update. One of the cracked piston shards must have damaged a seal. 5 min into ride, the squealing starts, then zero power….
Will try to investigate, and swap out the offending seal. Dagnabbit.
Was it you or the brake squealing?