FOUND, SOLD, ETC. Modern parts for an old bike. Help me keep this old girl running.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Item: Many things, see below
Item Condition: Working nicely. I don't care about look, color or cosmetic damage.
Reason for wanting: To replace broken stuff.
Price and price conditions: Will pay fair price, would prefer to pick up but can pay postage.
Extra Info: see below
Pictures: see below

Hey folks.
I started riding to work last year on my 1992/3 Orange Clockwork. It's now doing three times the mileage of my other MTBs, is still mostly running original components and is starting to fall to pieces. I priced some new parts up on Wiggle/CRC/etc and for not far off the same money I can just buy a newer, better bike. But I like this thing and want to keep riding it. Hoping some of you folks have some suitable bits lying around that you'd be willing to part with for a fair price. Would prefer to go 10sp as I have a spare RD and cassette already, but would be fine with 9sp. Not interested in vintage stuff and making this a museum piece, just want reasonably modern gear in good working order to keep this bike working reliably for the commute and occasional off road trip round Lysty.

Here's the list of stuff I think I need:

Wheels, both 26", rim brake, standard QR.
BB Threaded, 68mm (has this standard changed in the last 20yrs? Current one is a wobbly Shimano STX square taper)
Cranks Double or triple, 9/10sp
FD Double or triple, bottom pull, 28.6 dia, 2 or 3x to match cranks.
Brakes V-brake levers and V-brakes front and rear.
Shifters 10sp front and rear.

Optional:
RD, 9sp (if cheap 10 speed stuff is too hard to find)
Cassette, 9sp (if cheap 10 speed stuff is too hard to find)

Clockwork.JPG
Cheers!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I'll have most of what you need. Got a 1995 giant iguana I've had since new sitting in the shed.
Shimano v brakes
non disc wheels

No spare modern cranks (unless you wanted the old lx 3sp sq taper set on there. Bb also.
Drivetrain:
front 3sp lx shifter and mech, rear lx shifter but no spare 9sp rear mech left. 9sp cassette and chain, new x7 if you want it.
Lemme know if any is of use. Good price for multi items.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I recently refurbished my old '94 bike and found it was cheaper to buy a new crank and bottom bracket (yes, that's something that's changed in 20 years) than it was to keep the old 5 bolt crank and source a new BB and chainrings.... the new style outboard bearing bottom brackets screw right up and then you can run a new hollow spindle crankset using 4 bolt chainrings.

i.e http://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-deore-m610-triple-chainset-243242/ for a new crank, chainrings and bottom bracket! Just a new set of chainrings alone in 5 bolt pattern would cost more than that.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SLX 3x10 shifters and SLX 3x10 front mech - 34.9mm high mount bottom pull, but can be shimmed (probably even have shims)
$45 posted.
That is all I can help with
Al..

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the replies, PM's sent.

Still may be after a semi-decent set of wheels, but looking good apart from that.

Is that an inch steerer I see on that bad boy?
If so, 1995 Judy SL of intetest?
Well spotted. Yep, it's an inch.
I spent some time a couple of years ago trying to find suspension forks that would fit this thing, failed, then later decided to keep it rigid for better commuting. So yeah... I sort of want the forks, but realistically know I'll never actually use them. So it's a reluctant "no". Thanks for the offer though.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers for the replies, PM's sent.

Still may be after a semi-decent set of wheels, but looking good apart from that.

Well spotted. Yep, it's an inch.
I spent some time a couple of years ago trying to find suspension forks that would fit this thing, failed, then later decided to keep it rigid for better commuting. So yeah... I sort of want the forks, but realistically know I'll never actually use them. So it's a reluctant "no". Thanks for the offer though.
Replied to your pm.
Forks should go up for sale on retro bike, but I'm lazy, so the cheap (I reckon, tell me otherwise) offer is there if wanted them. I won't cry foul if you on sell them for bigger monies.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Got a wheelset, never had tyres on. 26" 24 ?? Spoke, rim and disk compatible. Cheap Quando QR hubs on Alexrims. $100 pick-up, cheap and cheerful but brand new and fine for a commuter (what I originally bought them for but vetoed by the minister for finance).

mad greek

Likes Dirt
I have a set of Mavic D521 rims laced to LX hubs. It's a non-disc setup but definitely plenty of life in them. They are circa 2001 but barely got used as I upgraded to disc compatible wheels.

Happy to let them go for $100 if you like. There is no rear cassette on but it used to suit a 9 speed (unsure if that fits 10 speeds now though).

Cheers,
Theo

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of Mavic D521 rims laced to LX hubs. It's a non-disc setup but definitely plenty of life in them. They are circa 2001 but barely got used as I upgraded to disc compatible wheels.

Happy to let them go for $100 if you like. There is no rear cassette on but it used to suit a 9 speed (unsure if that fits 10 speeds now though).

Cheers,
Theo

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Theo,
Any chance of pics? and maybe weight (I know)?
Im reasonably keen to snake these.

mad greek

Likes Dirt

Sorry I'm not very good at taking photos of wheels, but tried to get one of everything important. They need a clean but I'm about to run out the door, sorry!

Cheers,
Theo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Waiting to hear back from AWOL badger after sending pics. I'll let you know.
Oi Moorey, your message box is full. So I'll put it here:

Thanks for the photos of your rings.
Keen to take the cranks, BB, rings and brakes off you. What's the damage?

Cheers fella

moorey

call me Mia
Oi Moorey, your message box is full. So I'll put it here:

Thanks for the photos of your rings.
Keen to take the cranks, BB, rings and brakes off you. What's the damage?

Cheers fella
Full again!! Fark me. Rings are free. Still happy with the fiddy. My mate who works in Melbourne some days will be off work for a while after putting his brake lever into his leg last weekend.
How do you want to do the shipping/handover Deallie?