Found.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Item: Just built up an old steel hardtail and going to run 1x9 speed. Frame has ISCG OLD mounts so chasing something that will do a reasonable job of keeping the chain on the chainring. Cranks are late 90's Raceface Forged 5 bolt, 94BCD, running a 32 tooth Blackspire chainring of the same vintage.

I can buy a Hope top 'slick guide' brand new still online for it but thought id see if anyone has something suitable as id hate to spend the same sort of money the whole frame cost me just on a guide. Eventually i might get a NW chainring (if i must but $$$eeek). Kinda torn, dont want to put much more money into the build and wanted to just use old parts i already have but i could probably buy more modern cranks, bottom bracket and use a more std NW chainring (much cheaper) then it would cost to get a new guide and NW ring to suit these old cranks... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Id like to see if a guide alone does a good enough of a job for my riding style (just general trail riding, XC on this bike).

Prefer something minimalist, no bash plate or ring.

Location: SE Melbourne, Happy to drive a few hours to collect or postage is fine if required.

Item Condition: Good to New.

Price and price conditions: (New Hope one is $80)

Travis.

Last edited:

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, two nice options there.

Am i dreaming thinking that a top only guide will be enough or do you think the bottom guide is mandatory with the old setup (no NW chainring, no clutch rear derailleur).

How noisy are the bottom guides / can these guides be run top only / can you remove the bottom guide cleanly or does it end up looking crap?

Travis.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks guys, two nice options there.

Am i dreaming thinking that a top only guide will be enough or do you think the bottom guide is mandatory with the old setup (no NW chainring, no clutch rear derailleur).

How noisy are the bottom guides / can these guides be run top only / can you remove the bottom guide cleanly or does it end up looking crap?

Travis.
Definitely a little bit noisier, not much. Definitely not needed, particularly if you bang on a NW ring. I think they make them in your BCD. Definitely look crap trying to remove the bottom.