Fox 125 Talas RLC serviceing... any tips?

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
My Fox talas 125 RLC's are in need of new oil and seals, havent pulled them apart before but have done plenty of moto forks.

They were serviced 500k's ago by the Fox importer with new oil and seals and they are pissing out oil again for some reason. Maybe the bushings inside the lowers are worn and causing the seals to wear out quicker?

Anyone done them before with some tips? What a good oil weight/type to use and how much is suppose to go in them?

Any special tools needed?

Cheers!

spongebob

Likes Dirt
Certainly special tools for the bushings - if you suspect wear [ play between uppers/lowers or wear marks on stanchions] send to agent.You need quality tools, a precision torque wrench, accurate volume measurers,a clean organised workspace, and alot of time and patience. Get all of the oils/ parts/ etc before you start.
The fox website is a good starting point otherwise & has all the info on oils.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/FLOAT/FLOAT_RLC.htm

bellto

Likes Dirt
if your seals are leaking, you may have a oil that is unsuitable to your fork, especially as they are only 500k's old seals, the recomended oil thickness is 7.5w so if it is thicker than that try to put some 7.5w rsf silkolene by fuchs, this is good oil, i also find that 5w work quite smoothly.

EDIT: if there is play in the forks, get new bushes and seals.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Certainly special tools for the bushings - if you suspect wear [ play between uppers/lowers or wear marks on stanchions] send to agent.You need quality tools, a precision torque wrench, accurate volume measurers,a clean organised workspace, and alot of time and patience. Get all of the oils/ parts/ etc before you start.
The fox website is a good starting point otherwise & has all the info on oils.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/FLOAT/FLOAT_RLC.htm
Have all of the above apart from fox specific tools, as i overhaul my moto forks all the time. pull em apart and see i guess, what the worst that can happen:D

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
if your seals are leaking, you may have a oil that is unsuitable to your fork, especially as they are only 500k's old seals, the recomended oil thickness is 7.5w so if it is thicker than that try to put some 7.5w rsf silkolene by fuchs, this is good oil, i also find that 5w work quite smoothly.

EDIT: if there is play in the forks, get new bushes and seals.
Doubt it would be the wrong oil, they were service last time at dirt works so should have been spot on.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doubt it would be the wrong oil, they were service last time at dirt works so should have been spot on.

Talk to Dirt Works then and depending on how long ago it was (I know 500kms but time is a good indicator too) and what the issue is they should warrant their workmanship.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Talk to Dirt Works then and depending on how long ago it was (I know 500kms but time is a good indicator too) and what the issue is they should warrant their workmanship.
Not a bad idea, will get in touch with them. The 500k's was done in about 3months.

3 months is how long a set of wiper seals are covered for under warranty.

Having had my forks done by the guys at dirtworks various times in the past i had a similar issue and as easy as it would have been to say the 200 or 300ks i had done in that time was easy ks, it was not the case.

I had done some riding in canberra, that and some muddy stuff and even though they were clean the insides were pretty dirty.

Leaking seals if chasing a warranty could also been a fault in the part and not always a workmanship issue..

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3 months is how long a set of wiper seals are covered for under warranty.

Leaking seals if chasing a warranty could also been a fault in the part and not always a workmanship issue..
Yep, I understand the seals only have a 3 month warranty that's why I asked him to clarify the time since he had them serviced.

I also stated that 'depending what the issue is' they may decide to warrant their workmanship.

Wiper seals are very rarely faulty, the probem may lay in a small chip on the staunchions, incorrect cleaning methods (e.g. high pressure hose used), or even a dodgy u-cup seal, as examples.

U-Cup Seal?

This will only be a problem if the wiper seal on the left hand leg is popping up and you are loosing air pressure would it not?

I have heard of people using slick honey or other grease on the foam o-rings which has dragged alot of dirt into the wipers and then causes some minor wear as you stated that caused a leak or 3.

Just of Ha Ha's you actually said this "what the issue is they should warrant their workmanship"

Huck

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
U-Cup Seal?

This will only be a problem if the wiper seal on the left hand leg is popping up and you are loosing air pressure would it not?

Just of Ha Ha's you actually said this "what the issue is they should warrant their workmanship"

Huck
You missed the crucial word " 'depending' what the issue is"... doesn't matter anyways.

And yeah that's right, if you have an issue with the U-cup seal the wiper seal will pop out... wasn't necessarily describing Spiderpig's issue, just throwing down some reasons for wiper seal failures, as mentioned, 'examples'.