Fox 2010 Van R Damper issues

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
Hi

So i have just taken my fork (2010 fox van r) apart to change the oil and seals.

Upon removing the lowers, clean red oil started pissing out of the damper side. I am assuming that this is damper fluid, as the fox damper fluid is red, and all the oil in the open bath tends to be very dirty.

Any idea why this would have occurred? Does this mean damage to the damper cartridge, as i have not loosened off any of the damper assembly?

I had the rebound adjustment knob loosened, but did not release the damper top cap, if this has any impact.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
OK, but should the fluid be coming out of the damper, without having loosened any of the nuts on the damper assembly? (other than the nut that removes the lower)

willsy01

Eats Squid
OK, but should the fluid be coming out of the damper, without having loosened any of the nuts on the damper assembly? (other than the nut that removes the lower)
Probably a bit of it, yeah. Was it coming out as you cycled the damper up and down?

You don't need to completely disassemble the damper, you're best off removing it from the uppers though. If you look at the bottom of it, there are a series of slots......grab a 1.5mm allen key and gently push it in one of the slots to open up the shim inside then SLOWLY cycle the damper up and down. Oil will squirt out the very top of the damper assembly so make sure you've got a pan handy.

If a whole bunch of oil has already poured out the bottom, that spring loaded shim may be buggered or just stuck open. Popping the allen key in there may free it up though.....you'll just feel it give a little when it opens.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
a fair bit came out before i moved the damper at all, then a little bit more came out as i moved it up and down.

ill take it out of the uppers and try opening up the shim. assuming i will have to replace this oil which has come out? by the looks of it, i can use the same 10w oil as for the open bath

cheers for the help

willsy01

Eats Squid
If it's the open bath damper, it's all the same oil. The movement of the damper shaft draws the oil up and through the valving at the top of the assembly and spits it back out so it ends up at the bottom of the leg again.....if you're changing the oil, you need to get all the old stuff out of the damper too.

The newer FIT dampers have the damper oil in a separate sealed compartment......hence the need for both the red and green oils in them.

Remember to be really careful when using the 26mm sockets on the top caps. Unless you've got one that's been machined down, the socket slips REALLY easily and you'll end up with the corners rounded off. I find it's safer to carefully use a big shifter just to loosen it off and tighten it up.

Last edited:

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
OK thanks very much that pretty much answers my question.

one more though.... i imagine that i will have to replace the oil in the damper. the oil volume specified is 100ml for the damper. would i do this after installing the lowers (add 100ml plus the 25ml specified for the open bath)? or do i do this with the lowers off?

assistance much appreciated!!