Fox 32 damper reinstall....spinning shaft

willsy01

Eats Squid
So i'm servicing the forks (open bath Fox 32 F100RL).....air side is done, damper side has thrown me a curve ball though.

I've dropped the damper back in and put a few turns on the top cap, the threaded part is poking out through the bottom and i've started screwing on the nut and crush washer.....now comes the problem. The threaded rod is spinning within the damper and it isn't even close to being tight enough.

I've tried compressing the fork to put some pressure on the damper rod hoping it would be enough for it to tighten but no dice. Short of cutting a slot in the damper rod, any tricks to get the bastard tightened?

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
lock it out and compress it? It doesn't actually have to be very tight at all. About 5Nm, just enough to engage the crush washer.

Luck,

CT

willsy01

Eats Squid
I can't compress it if it's locked out :)

Edit: just realised how that would work.....will try.

Im going to try and find an M8 bolt with the same pitch to screw onto the bolt, might clean up the threads a bit.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep - push it around a bit, force them together (while holding the rod so it doesn't retract inside the leg), etc. Basically play around and you should find a position where the bolt locks in and doesn't spin. Had a set do this to me also once, but managed to get them back together after a bit of playing around.

rick79

Likes Dirt
yep - push it around a bit, force them together (while holding the rod so it doesn't retract inside the leg), etc. Basically play around and you should find a position where the bolt locks in and doesn't spin. Had a set do this to me also once, but managed to get them back together after a bit of playing around.
2nd this...its just a matter of playing around with it, as also said...it dosnt actually need to be super tight

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
lock it out and compress it? It doesn't actually have to be very tight at all. About 5Nm, just enough to engage the crush washer.

Luck,

CT
i found this out the very hard way. I ended up snapping the thread off. i got some liquid steel and put a heap of it on there and stuck the nut and broken thread back on there. good as new. :nono:

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
i found this out the very hard way. I ended up snapping the thread off. i got some liquid steel and put a heap of it on there and stuck the nut and broken thread back on there. good as new. :nono:
Wish I could have done that with one I broke at about 2Nm, but it belonged to a paying customer :(

TALAS units are expensive...

CT

willsy01

Eats Squid
Just a little addendum to this one.......turns out the old crush washers tend to stick inside the nut, the nut spins very freely once it's removed.

Just a little addendum to this one.......turns out the old crush washers tend to stick inside the nut, the nut spins very freely once it's removed.
Mine ****ing doesn't. ****FOX are idiots. And other fork and I wouldn't have to service it for twice as long.