fox 32 vs 36

Neon

Likes Dirt
ok, i did a bit of a search, bit i just want to know what the difference between a the fox 32 range and the 36 range?
also which do you think is better?
thanks

M.artin

Arrow Racing
To put it simple.

32 has 32mm stanchions

36 has 36mm stanchions.

36 is for heavy duty use and 32 for All mountain and XC/trails due to the size making one stronger than the other.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Also, note that Fox 36's have 20mm thru axles while Fox 32's have quick release axles.

It really depends on what sort of riding you are into. Can you give us some more info?

If you're doing Downhill, but on a bike that you want to ride back up to the top or ride around for a whole day on the trails, the 36's are probably your best shot. If you do more trail riding, then the 32's might be the go.

I ride trails and light all-mountain stuff on my Giant Reign and ride a set of 32 Floats. I can't really fault them. They are simple, light and have great adjustability. If I was focussing more on my Downhill I would consider getting 36's (but by that time I would want to get a separate DH bike and not compromise on a light trail machine, being the Reign with 32's)

M.artin

Arrow Racing
I used to ride the Vanilla 36 - Street, Trails, Light free ride/downhill and a little dirt jumping as well and they were great...

I then got the Talas 36 and rode the same stuff and they were also great... You just notice how much stiffer the 36 are on heavier duty riding such as the Dirt jumps, Free ride and Downhill...

If you are planning on bashing your bike around or ride a little heavy - get the 36, They ride everything real well.

I would recommend the Talas 36 as probably the best all round fork, Dial it down to 100mm for trails and up to 160mm for DH and they will take everything you throw at them.

WasabiJim

Likes Bikes
your 36 has more travel too. 160 vs 140mm.
but in general a completely different beast. perfect for those with a few screws loose upstairs like myself :D

garfield84

NSWMTB
i've had a set of 36 talas for a couple of years now, they are the most versatile fork around with adjust ment of 100,130,160! absolutely great product, never had a problem

Neon

Likes Dirt
yeh i do a bit of everything, i ride a bit of xc and a fair bit of light downhill or freeride, or you could say extreme xc.
so yeh the 36 sound better, but by the looks of it, they will cost more, and i will also have to buy a new hub as well.
perhaps as i get better at riding and get more hardcore, and a bit more money, i will buy some talas 36'ers.
but right now i am looking at some vanilla's 32'ers from the US for around $450.

other aardvark

Likes Bikes
Also, note that Fox 36's have 20mm thru axles while Fox 32's have quick release axles.

I ride trails and light all-mountain stuff on my Giant Reign and ride a set of 32 Floats. I can't really fault them. They are simple, light and have great adjustability. If I was focussing more on my Downhill I would consider getting 36's (but by that time I would want to get a separate DH bike and not compromise on a light trail machine, being the Reign with 32's)
Its worth noting that 09 32 forks will have a 15mm through axle option which will require a new 15mm hub standard. Im interrested to see if the current 20mm hubs can be used via some sort of 15mm adaptor.

I have a 08 Reign which came with a 32 Talas RLC which was really OK for the style of bike and my riding skills. Recently I fitted a 36 Talas in the quest for "one bike does it all" thing.

Although I like the effect on the handling due to the ( slackened head angle) I think it is a bit of a compromise. The 36 does get me down the mountain on shuttle days and up the mountain for cross country rides but Im finding for normal trails that it is way more than I need and its not supple enough for technical down-hilling. For more full-on riding I think the Float and Van versions of the 36 are are better bump gobblers. For cross-country trail riding I really love 08 Float 32.

32s are really more than up to the task of eating terrain for most trail riding for most people.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Its worth noting that 09 32 forks will have a 15mm through axle option which will require a new 15mm hub standard. Im interrested to see if the current 20mm hubs can be used via some sort of 15mm adaptor.

I have a 08 Reign which came with a 32 Talas RLC which was really OK for the style of bike and my riding skills. Recently I fitted a 36 Talas in the quest for "one bike does it all" thing.

Although I like the effect on the handling due to the ( slackened head angle) I think it is a bit of a compromise. The 36 does get me down the mountain on shuttle days and up the mountain for cross country rides but Im finding for normal trails that it is way more than I need and its not supple enough for technical down-hilling. For more full-on riding I think the Float and Van versions of the 36 are are better bump gobblers. For cross-country trail riding I really love 08 Float 32.

32s are really more than up to the task of eating terrain for most trail riding for most people.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see if there will be adaptors for the new 15mm thru axles and 20mm hubs.
I have heard great things about the TALAS system and how the travel adjust works very well. The only complaint I have heard about them is that they aren't very responsive over small bumps. This could be what you're experiencing when you say they aren't supple enough. The people I've spoken to have put this down the number of seals and added complexity of the workings of the TALAS models.

If you're into a bit of everything, but enjoy doing the bigger stuff, then the 36's might be the go. If you tend to focus more on XC/trail then the 32's might be better. Despite the lack of suppleness of the TALAS models I would seriously consider them. My 32 Floats have 140mm of non-adjustable travel. They are that light and tall that keeping the front wheel on the ground up steep climbs becomes quite difficult (you really have to concentrate on leaning forward and getting the elbows out). I'm quite sure a wound down 36 TALAS would climb better despite being heavier.

But, with the new 32's coming with a 15mm thru axle, they will offer a lot of what the 36 has to offer with stiffness, but obviously not as much travel.

Last edited:

other aardvark

Likes Bikes
If you tend to focus more on XC/trail then the 32's might be better. Despite the lack of suppleness of the TALAS models I would seriously consider them. My 32 Floats have 140mm of non-adjustable travel. They are that light and tall that keeping the front wheel on the ground up steep climbs becomes quite difficult (you really have to concentrate on leaning forward and getting the elbows out). I'm quite sure a wound down 36 TALAS would climb better despite being heavier.

But, with the new 32's coming with a 15mm thru axle, they will offer a lot of what the 36 has to offer with stiffness, but obviously not as much travel.
I like Talas alot (I ort to as I have two) but I think it depends on the bikes handling traits and your riding style to weather you engage the Talas or not. My old bike, an 08 Reign, had me wanting to drop the forks on steep pitches while I dont touch the Talas nob ever on my new Blur LT.

I dont know why the BLT climbs so well but Im hoping my 09 Nomad (when it arrives) will have the same kind handling because Im thinking of converting my 36 Talas to a a Float air spring.

Last edited: