Fox 32mm /150mm travel- Asketh too much?

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I just got my Scott Genius 720 this arvo and the one thing that has been in the back of my mind since choosing it is the 32mm fork. It's a 32 Float Evolution CTD w/15mm axle and runs off the Scott Twinloc remote.
I've been told the 2014 forks have the redesigned lowers and crown, and these make up for the extra length of stanchion, but I'm not convinced. I've got 32mm F120's on my '08 Stumpjumper, and they show a bit of flex when under pressure, so I'd imagine an extra 30mm extension on the same size tubes is not going to be an improvement. Last years Genius had 34's, so why would they change if they were a step back? Money saving to maintain a price point?
The same fork seems to be spec'd on a few new "trail" category bikes now, anyone with a bit of time on them care to comment?

I'm not exactly throwing myself off a mountain with my riding (41yo with a strong sense of self preservation!) but at the same time I don't want to feel like the fork is wandering under the bike when it is working its hardest.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
140 is about longest I'd go in a 32mm. Any more u might as well strap on some wet noodles as forks!

Although depending on how much sag u might end up sucking down the extra 10mm and negate the flex.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Haven't been too happy with Fox back to RS next time!
I'm sure it comes down to weight (I'm 70kg), but running 3 sets of 150mm revs currently (2x15mm, one 20mm), and pushing them reasonably hard, I have zero issues with flex. I'm only going of what others say, but the 150mm fox seem way flexier.

teK--

Eats Squid
I was thinking more that they dumb down the adjustments for their mid range forks then make it near impossible to buy spare parts if you're not a service agent.

Don't get me started on light rider I am one too and the coil negative spring seems to have been selected for riders of a higher average weight..

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gotta take into account that the 32 float and the 32 f series have different uppers. The floats are a vast improvement over the f series in terms of tracking, flex, and longterm survivability.
I've got some 150mm floats (i think they were off an OEM giant?) and they aren't too bad on the flex front. However i had an older set of 140mm ones of the same fork, and the bushings in the lowers flogged out pretty quick due to the loads placed on them from the extension under hard riding.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm not as techie as most here but my thought, as it only arrived that arvo, is to the ride the hell out of it before you even worry about it. If it flexes THEN worry about it :whistle:

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I'm not as techie as most here but my thought, as it only arrived that arvo, is to the ride the hell out of it before you even worry about it. If it flexes THEN worry about it :whistle:
True. Gave it it's first hit out this evening down on the YT's, a few laps of the paddock and a bit of a fang a bit further up. Pressure in the shock was about 20psi low, front very close to right. Reverb Stealth working a treat!
As for Twinloc, on climb setting, it's near rigid with just the slightest bounce. Great on the walking paths and the road, pedals like a road bike.
On trail, it's a lot like the Stumpjumper, just tighter. Firm but compliant on the rough stuff. The Stumpjumpers F120 is more progressive compared to trail setting on the Float Evo but it gives the bike a firm and fast feel, while still taking the hits. Even with The Brain on the Spesh, it bobbed a bit under hard pedalling, so a lot like this setting.
Descend mode is so good, butter smooth on fast stutters, and hardly feel the bigger bumps. Bobs like a bastard when you're pedalling, which is fine when you're negotiating a trail and throwing in a few strokes, but trail is where it's at for serious pedalling.
So after a 45 minute introduction, I'm very happy with it. A bit more tuning and it should get even better.
And as for flex in the 32's? Nothing that worried me. Didn't think about it too much to be honest and felt nothing that concerned me. Very early days though. My initial fears have been somewhat allayed in regard to flex, however the fork definitely needs a decent bump to start working in Trail mode. Big hits, no problems. See how it goes with time, especially now I know there are options to make it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Sounds perfect to me! Enjoy!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk