Fox 34 factory/Float or RS Pike RC/monarch debonair?

Tasben

Cannon Fodder
Hi,

Im after some help on the best suspension setup. I have just bought a new large bike to replace my current medium that is only 12mths old. Both are 27.5 trail bikes.

My current bike has 2016 Fox 34 factory/Float evolve shocks with about 100hrs on them, the new bike has 2016 RS Pike RC/monarch debonair RC. I'm after opinions on whether I should go with the new Rock shox sus, or swap out the factory fox setup and sell the others on my medium? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Are the the same make/model bike only different sizes?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Good Q JT...

Are fork travels the same, shock eye to eye and travel the same? Similar tunes? In other words, is it actually possible to swap the suspension between the bikes?

Tasben

Cannon Fodder
Good Q JT...

Are fork travels the same, shock eye to eye and travel the same? Similar tunes? In other words, is it actually possible to swap the suspension between the bikes?
Cheers,
Not The same bike brand but very similar style, same head angle and travel, forks are both 140mm and shock eye to eye is the same. The tune is something I'm not sure about but I was assuming this is something I could adjust with tokens maybe?

I guess I wanted to know if it's worth the hassle, is the fox set up likely to be substantially better than the rock shox?

Cheers

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Cheers,
Not The same bike brand but very similar style, same head angle and travel, forks are both 140mm and shock eye to eye is the same. The tune is something I'm not sure about but I was assuming this is something I could adjust with tokens maybe?

I guess I wanted to know if it's worth the hassle, is the fox set up likely to be substantially better than the rock shox?

Cheers
Suspension brands and quality are personally subjective. I'm a Rockshox fan over fox, but id have a 36 RC2 before a lyric.

Pike over a 34 (even a Fit 4 Factory I had).

Tunes need to be adjusted with shim stacks if you want it perfect, but if the leverage curve is similar you might have enough adjustment to get it close enough.

To be honest, if you not experienced with suspension just go with whatever's on the bike. Chances are you won't notice the difference.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Too much hassle, run the rockshox. The pike is alot better than the 34, and I've always been happy with my monarchs. Rockshox servicing is cheaper than fox too.

The only reason to swap to fox is if you were going to top end stuff. I.e. I swapped my rc pike out for a set of 36 rc2 floats.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I prefer the Fox stuff these days, slightly, but I agree too much hassle. Also Sola Sport if something goes wrong is a big turn off.

PhillipJ

Likes Bikes
The pike is alot better than the 34.
The Pike RCT3 *might* be but FOX FIT4 is going to be better than the Pike RC for most people. Shitloads of preload on the RC high speed circuit to make the lockout work so unless you're heavy or very fast it's going to be harsh on high speed compressions.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
The Pike RCT3 *might* be but FOX FIT4 is going to be better than the Pike RC for most people. Shitloads of preload on the RC high speed circuit to make the lockout work so unless you're heavy or very fast it's going to be harsh on high speed compressions.
I have both a Fox Factory 34 FIT4 and Pike RCT3 and the Pike is a far more supple and responsive fork.
Can' speak for the RC without the LSC damping.

Suspension is a very personal thing, but for me (who likes to run a soft fork with a healthy amount of sag) and at 83kgs, the Pike (with a Luftkappe) is about as perfect as I could ask for.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How was the std pike without the luftkappe?

Edit: I was rockshox but current 34s felt better than equiv price point pikes, to me.