Fox 36 29er Conversion

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the moment I have a 2017 27.5 Fox 36, 160mm Travel with 44mm offset. The fork was originally at 180mm so has the longer uppers.

I am considering either:

• Messing around setting my current bike up as a mullet (reducing the travel slightly to compensate);
  • Upgrading to a frame which suits a 44mm offset 29er fork.

Was hoping the suspension guru's could help with the following questions - have had a good search but can't seem to find a firm answer.

1. Is there any difference between 27.5 and 29er Fox Lowers? If I were to remove my 27.5 lowers and install 29er lowers with my current spring, would the travel remain the same? My understanding is that it would and the only difference between the lowers is that the 29er dropouts are proportionally lower on the lower leg to compensate for the larger wheel.

2. Is the offset in Fox Forks determined by the crown, the lowers, or a combination of the crown and lowers? Hard to tell, but from the Fox technical diagrams it appears it's just the crown. I.e. if I were to install 29er lowers on my 27.5 uppers, would the offset remain at 44mm?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My understanding is that it would and the only difference between the lowers is that the 29er dropouts are proportionally lower on the lower leg to compensate for the larger wheel.
Yep, travel is unchanged, but Axle-to-Crown is longer.

I were to install 29er lowers on my 27.5 uppers, would the offset remain at 44mm?
Yep.