Fox 40 and DHX on new glory?

SEIK suBWOOFA

Cannon Fodder
im going to be gettin a giant glory soon and wondering if they those two shocks are going to be sick for dh or not. Are they easy to maintane and fix? anything you know about them would help
nic.

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They both suck. You couldn't do much worse.

Don't worry, I'm just being sarcastic. Actually, you couldn't do much better.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The shocks will be very sick, two of the finest pieces of bicycle components on the market. Just a question, whats a giant glory?? :confused:

mpdowling

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a little bit of topic, but what do you guys think of this new bike to replace? does it have any majour improvements? i guess one thing could be whats the point in having two bikes with the same frame (past years)

marty

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mpdowling said:
a little bit of topic, but what do you guys think of this new bike to replace? does it have any majour improvements? i guess one thing could be whats the point in having two bikes with the same frame (past years)

marty
The biggest improvement is the rear suspension design , a blatant rip off of Iron Horses DW link (although probably not as refined). Super active , but fairly solid under pedalling input. I have a Reign with the same basic design rear end and I have to admit , it works really well.

I suspect Giants plan is to continue to use the old frame for their entry model (DH Comp) because of economic reasons. They are already set up for production and probably have a massive stockpile of them. On top of that , they have to compete for that lucrative entry level market with Norco , IH , etc. anyone offering a half decent DH bike for around $4000. The more frames they produce , the more that offsets the initial cost of setting up to make them , and judging by the amount of DH Comp / Teams around , I'd say those costs are well and truly recovered by now. So , with minimal production costs , they can offer the Comp at a competitive price and still make a decent profit.

If someone wants the latest design frame (Glory) , they have to fork out the bucks for the top of the line model , although I don't know if they will offer the Glory as a frameset only.
Giant: " You want?, You pay"

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
mpdowling said:

marty
Actually, they will more than likely phase out the DH comp design if the new glory works. It would make sense to use the one platform rather than two different ones.

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such a pity that the patent wars with Iron Horse forced Giant to move the lower shock pivot to the middle of the farkin downtube. The actual team bikes look hot, but the Glory ain't quite so great, what with its considerable protuberance.

Actually, it's not that much of a pity at all, 'cos DW is a fucken gun, and IH should defend the design, but anywho...

blt2ride

Likes Dirt
bradh said:
Such a pity that the patent wars with Iron Horse forced Giant to move the lower shock pivot to the middle of the farkin downtube. The actual team bikes look hot, but the Glory ain't quite so great, what with its considerable protuberance.

Actually, it's not that much of a pity at all, 'cos DW is a fucken gun, and IH should defend the design, but anywho...
Is that why the production model looks different than the prototype I saw people riding all season? I wondered why Giant changed it; the prototype did look better...

It's still a sweet bike, but I did find the changes strange...

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
they suposably changed it becasue of problems with ironhorse bicycles.
I may be wrong this is just what i have heard.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
moved the lower pivot forward to comply with the DW link patent stuff. the lower shock mount is not anywhere near the the lower pivot, unlike the DW link, which is effectively on it.

Yeti

Pro Rider
yeah i spoke to rando at work yesterday, he said that although he likes the look of his prototype he thinks the glory is just as good or better...and looks much better in the flesh than in the photos. It works awesome too....itll be interesting to see what giant do with the bike...hopefully they bring out a frameset into australia.

Giant reps are saying January...yum.

Az

Likes Dirt
eskimo said:
Giant reps are saying January...yum.
Bugger, might have to hold off untill then for my new rig..............

Anyone know approx what RRP will be???

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
Has anyone been able to find (or even tried looking for) the DW link patent that forced the change in shock mount? I had a look around on the USPTO site and couldn' t find anything.
GIANT STP said:
has anyone got pics of the glory? just would like to see
Read the thread.

blt2ride

Likes Dirt
There has been some rumors that the team I'm part of might be on Giants next season--that would be REALLY nice!