fox 40 fork play??

mypk

Likes Bikes
I have a pair of 2013 fox 40 RC2 forks on my demo 8 i bought the bike second hand in good condition with not many hours on it.
my question is if i put the front brake on and rock the bike back and forward there is a bit of play in the forks, is this normal, is it just the minor play between the stanchions and bushings.

can anyone with fox 40 forks try the same thing with their bike and see if there is any play in yours

thanks

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
As far as i'm aware they're not meant to have too much play... If they start wearing down your stanchions I would definitely replace the bushings, much cheaper then purchasing new uppers. However I had 40's with a bit of play and rode them just fine, maybe it's normal, maybe it's not, just make sure you keep an eye out for any wear.

mypk

Likes Bikes
Checked the headset to rule that out?
good suggestion, yep i did and it was ok, i took the spring out and it had heaps of heat shrink on it in the middle so much that it was a tight fit inside the fork stanchion so took it off and just left the factory bit on it and its much better now

thnks

T-Rex

Template denier
good suggestion, yep i did and it was ok, i took the spring out and it had heaps of heat shrink on it in the middle so much that it was a tight fit inside the fork stanchion so took it off and just left the factory bit on it and its much better now

thnks
The extra heat shrink would have been put in by the previous owner to stop the spring rattling inside the staunchion, which this model is prone to. Removing it won't affect play in anything. A low hours 40 would be unlikely to wear the bushes, more likely the headset, or another possibility which feels similar is a loose brake caliper.

AndySTi

Likes Dirt
As mentioned above, a low use 40 shouldn't exhibit any play - inspect the stanchions for signs of wear. Sometimes there can be some minor play from the brake pads rocking in the caliper when the brakes are engaged, leading one to think there is play in the fork. Flip the bike upside down, remove the front tyre and hold the lowers - try rocking them back and forth. This will allow you to determine whether there is play in the fork - the fork should feel solid and the lowers should not exhibit any play.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Sure it's not the brake pads moving? How are you checking. Front brake on and rocking the bike back and forth?

mypk

Likes Bikes
yeah i have checked the brake caliper to make sure its tight and the pads and headset, took front wheel off, move fork staunchions bit of play in there not much, guess i will just take it to the local bike shop to see if they can work it out