Fox 40 knocking sound, please help!

Maris

Likes Dirt
Basically, half way through the travel there is a knocking sound coming from the forks (09 fox40's, brand new). I've tried to read up on the forks as much as i can and the only thing i've found is that it could be the spring in the left leg hitting the inside of the fork.

If anyone could confirm this or tell me how to fix it i'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers,
Mike.

screw loose

Likes Dirt
I have some older 40's, and I have the EXACT same issue. It's been covered a couple of times in here before,

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135603&highlight=fox+40s+noise

Best solution is some heat shrink made of some more resilient material around the spring. Just be careful when you take the spring out, and rest it somewhere clean. Innertubes tend to break down and make a mess of ya oil.

On a closing note. . . You'd think they'd have fixed it by now. . I run 06 40s.

Mr King

Likes Dirt
Very common problem. Some fox 40's do it, and some dont. Mine are 07's and they have been back to dirt works/fox 4 times now for various reasons. On the other hand my mate has the same forks and he hasn't had 1 problem! The first time I got the fork back they put GLAD wrap around the spring! - Believe me I was shocked as well! I just use a small tube or heat shrink wrap around the spring to dampen the sound of it hitting the inside of the fork. After blowing a rebound cartridge, 3 sets of seals and 2x 100 hour rebuilds on the forks, I finally broke the Ti spring at the bottom of the spring and just had it replaced. The rubber around the spring had worked its way down to the bottom of the spring and became bunched up, so if you do this just open up the spring side of the fork and check it as often as you can! Other than that the forks work really good... when it isn't in bits and being sent all over the country.

hope this helps

Maris

Likes Dirt
I took the spring out and it still had the original rubber shrink wrap on it, so it put it back in, made sure it was seated properly in the bottom of the shock and now there's no noise what so ever.