Fox 40 lowers, no stickers?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
NOTE: Not an LBS rant.

I punctured my fox 40 lowers at Illinbah, which saddened me quite a lot and kept me off the bike for a few weeks. I purchased some new lowers through a bike shop, all happy until i noticed the lowers without stickers. When i enquired as to whether there was some sort of mistake, they said "No the stickers are optional extra's".

I fully understand that this is not the fault of the shop, but I don't understand who the heck would want new lowers without stickers. There seriuosly must be like 5% of the population at most who wouldn't want replacement stickers with their lowers. Furthermore, for 500 smackaroonies you'd reckon fox could put a set of stickers in. My friend broke his 888 lowers and for 200 bucks he got lowers, stickers, and new internals.

I hardly think this is the way to treat people who keep coming back to buy your products even after they've broken them. Is this the standard we are familiar and happy with in the bike industry? Whats next, buying frames with sticker kits optional? I'm looking at 55 bucks for new stickers, and for that price I'm going to look for some non-genuine ones online.

I want to state that the bike shop was curteuos, helpful and punctual with the sale of the lowers. I know this rant probably won't accomplish anything, but I really wanted to see what other peoples outlook on the situation was.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
I know it sucks but think of it like this...
If you were "Mr Fox suspension company" would you like to be able to get another 55 bucks out of someone? its all buisness. I know it SUCKS but thats how it is, nothing in this world is free.

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
another victim of the wafer thin 40 lowers.....

Sucky thing is mate thats life, as the guy said above, they are a company, and can charge these amounts because there are people out there who are willing to spend said amount..

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Send a rant to Fox ! point out the competition doesn't sting it's customers for new stickers. Point out you can get them made by someone else cheaper...etc

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just as sn aside, not sure of RockShox Boxxer lowers, but I know the single crown lowers come without decals.
They are optional extras, too. So it's not just Fox.
Saving grace is that those lowers are cheaper than the price you mentioned for your 40s but still several hundred, even sourced from cheaper O/S sources.
At least RS have a valid excuse: several of their forks share lowers (e.g. Reba and Revelation, plus others) so separate decals obviously make sense.
40s though, for that money, should come complete.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just as sn aside, not sure of RockShox Boxxer lowers, but I know the single crown lowers come without decals.
They are optional extras, too. So it's not just Fox.
Saving grace is that those lowers are cheaper than the price you mentioned for your 40s but still several hundred, even sourced from cheaper O/S sources.
At least RS have a valid excuse: several of their forks share lowers (e.g. Reba and Revelation, plus others) so separate decals obviously make sense.
40s though, for that money, should come complete.
Boxxer lowers don't come with decals, but they do come with seals, bushing, and Maxle.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all your replies, I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and get some custom decals to put on there (thanks evObda2), And I'll be emailing fox telling them about it.

Reubs, I did actually have that idea earlier, thought it would be a good conversation starter at races. :p

Boxxer lowers don't come with decals, but they do come with seals, bushing, and Maxle.
In fairness, the fox lowers do come with seals, bushings and an axle as well. How much are boxxer lowers?

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How is it wrong of a company to not supply decals with the lowers? Your rant is slightly maligned, it should be the shop's responsibility to inform you of this.

Use your brain, there are different models of forks using the same lower. So, you have one model lower and different stickers to suit the fork, with different part numbers. This makes a whole lot more sense than having a kit of lower+stickers specific to each model, and this is without going in to the different coloured lower/sticker combinations.
Right now you can get 40 lowers in white, black and silver. There's the R, and RC2, with stickers availble in 3 different colours to suit the lowers.
What is smarter- making and keeping 6 types of lowers on hand, or keeping 3 types of lowers to be sold with 6 types of stickers. I know which option is cheaper and easier. So to say that it's an attempt to make money is quite the opposite, they're saving money which saves you money. Where is the problem here?
As for the price you paid for the lower, and that the store didn't ask you about stickers to start with, brings me back to saying... have a whinge about the store, not Fox or their importer. It is the fault of the shop if they didn't offer them to you at the point of sale. And if you're complaining about price - did you shop around at all?

The customer is always right. Except when they are blindingly wrong...

austfreddo

Cannon Fodder
Lowers pricing..

Further to the stickers.. I dented my lowers a few weeks back, and EVERY shop in Australia quoted $600-640 for these lowers. Look online aaaaaand $250 ex postage.

It's literally half the price. I'm not having a go at the bike shops as i'm sure they just chuck their 10% or whatever on top, but a 100% markup again for Aust customers? Can someone please explain why?

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are $259.99 USA.
... Last time i got Boxxer lowers they came with stickers, seals, bushings, and maxle. Can't recall the price, but it was fairly cheap.

EDIT: Just realized this threads been dug up. Carry on.

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
Further to the stickers.. I dented my lowers a few weeks back, and EVERY shop in Australia quoted $600-640 for these lowers. Look online aaaaaand $250 ex postage.

It's literally half the price. I'm not having a go at the bike shops as i'm sure they just chuck their 10% or whatever on top, but a 100% markup again for Aust customers? Can someone please explain why?
Because the Distro's have a strangle hold on the Aus bike industry, well most of them do, there are a few exceptions, but many are ripping us off big time.

Despite the fact that the aussie dollar is skyrocketing, very few products show these savings. But check Trek out, now that they have gone direct, many of their bikes have considerable savings

And this is the reason i buy many things from overseas, because i am a poor uni student, and need to make my cash go as far as possible, believe me though, i do wish i could support the LBS more, but i do it as much as i can, buying small bits and pieces such as chains, oils, etc and having them do the odd job that i can due to a lack of proper tooling (headset installs, wheel truing, etc)

anth69

Likes Dirt
Because the Distro's have a strangle hold on the Aus bike industry, well most of them do, there are a few exceptions, but many are ripping us off big time.

And this is the reason i buy many things from overseas,
yeh i know ! saint brakes locally are $680 , but CRC are $396 ... some guy is trying to sell his second hand ones here for $385 ... makes you wonder....