Fox 831 vs RS Argyle RCT vs Manitou Circus

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As the title says I'm comparing these forks for my new dirt jumper which is currently running pikes.

I do want the lightest forks, which are the 831's. But can the QR15 mounts on the forks take a 20mm hub? Because I can machine up a bush to reduce the hub spacing, but that will only work if the hib fits the forks.

I can get the Argyles and 831s for a similar price, but the Circus forks are cheaper with decent reviews. Does anyone actually run these and have an opinion on them? I'm looking at the Expert, not Comp model.

dug8713

Likes Dirt
As the title says I'm comparing these forks for my new dirt jumper which is currently running pikes.

I do want the lightest forks, which are the 831's. But can the QR15 mounts on the forks take a 20mm hub? Because I can machine up a bush to reduce the hub spacing, but that will only work if the hib fits the forks.

I can get the Argyles and 831s for a similar price, but the Circus forks are cheaper with decent reviews. Does anyone actually run these and have an opinion on them? I'm looking at the Expert, not Comp model.
Hey mate, I've run Manitou Circus Experts on my old Jackal and currently running Fox 831 on my current Jackal.

First things first, the hub standards are 20 x 110mm and 15 x 100mm. The bushes you make up will have to take both these dimensions into account.

Having run both forks, I'd recommend both to ya. If you're on a budget, the Circus are a clear winner. Stiff, strong though it is half kilo heavier than 831. The Circus is shipped with a firm spring, so they're damn stiff from factory. The damping also works awesome and each click makes a massive difference in stiffening the forks. Come in 20mm so you don't have to muck around making bushings etc.

The only issue I had though was all the oil leaked from one side of the lowers. New forks shouldn't be leaking in the box..

If you can afford it, 831 are very decent. Nice and stiff despite being light and they got an awesome damper. Really soaks up nose heavy landings nicely. If you can't afford 831, a 140mm Float lowered to 100mm with retuned compression stack or even thicker oil will do a similar job

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
The Argyle RCT is essentially a Pike with a snazzy paintjob and stickers... As the above posted above, if you can afford it the 831 go for it.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sheeeeeeet. I didn't realise the Fox forks were 10mm shorter in width too. It's just I want to keep the front NS hub matching the rear as they're brand new. Maybe I could mill 5mm and a bit off and make an axle.... Or run the Pikes and see if I want that half kilo off.

Thanks, its been a big help.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Decided to get a 15mm Profile Elite front hub so I can run some 831's. Can't go past that 0.5kg lighter

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably because they're a more XC intended fork, and Fox 831's are lighter