Fox Evol question

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A 5 min job of putting in a volume spacer into my Fox Float Evol on my 2017 Giant Trance 1 turned into an hour and a half issue because when I undid the shock it shot down towards the bottom eyelet making it almost impossible to easily screw back on once the new volume spacer is in there.

When I look on the Fox site and watch the video they talk about stuck down syndrome. It's not had a lot of use so it should not be worn out. I tried holding it up in the hope the pressure would equalise or something but no luck.

Have I done something wrong or is there an issue with the shock?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Let the air out in a few stages and cycle the shock each time. Put a rag in the shock eye in case the sleeve shoots off.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ok good. Next question. Do i need to equalise this pressure by taking the shock off and the can all the way off?
I normally equalise the air pressure on the bike by removing about 50 psi at a time while cycling the shock a few times. Then remove the shock and place it in a vice then carefully remove the air sleeve. Sometimes you can get a bit of air stuck in the can and it needs a bit of a reef to remove it.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Quite normal for the negative pressure to provide resistance when trying to install the air can. Maxing out the rebound(to keep it from returning) and compressing the bike fully will make the distance heaps shorter and ease the install.
Assuming of course that the air can install is the problem...

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quite normal for the negative pressure to provide resistance when trying to install the air can. Maxing out the rebound(to keep it from returning) and compressing the bike fully will make the distance heaps shorter and ease the install.
Assuming of course that the air can install is the problem...
This was A LOT of resistance. I had to use all my force just to hold it up against the top of the shock and then try to screw it in. This took an hour and I only managed to get it back together by wedging a chuck of hard nylon between the bottom of the can and the frame and then compressed the shock and I could screw it back on. Massive PITA!

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you didn't cycle it while you were depressurising it. This causes the negative chamber to retain pressure and suck the shock down. Pump the shock back up and it should extend. Then depressurise it by dropping in 25psi increments and bouncing on the seat. Then represurise in 25psi increments, also bouncing on the seat till you get to the correct pressure.