Fox f120, What to do?

stevexg

Likes Bikes
I have just got a 2009 Trance x3, love the thing!!!

BUT

The fork (Fox f120) has no lock out. I didn't think it would be a problem, but starting to get to me a bit. What would be the cheapest way of upgrading to lock out?

A few questions/ ideas:

Should i get a new fox fork? (15mm to suit my hub)
Or Rock shox?? Cheeper but will need a new wheel/ hub.?

Also what would my orginal fork be worth second hand? Should i include the wheel??

Any other ideas/ soultions would be great.
Thanks Steve

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to ride lockout on older forks, but now I actually ride without it. Cheapest option is to learn to smoothen up and ride without locking the forks! When you get used to it, you don't bob that much in climbing, and you really don't notice not having it.

Short of that you could probably replace the cartridge side of the fork with one that has lockout. I'm sure it won't be cheap though.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's just a F120 R, yeah?

That has a somewhat different cartridge to the RL and RLC, so it's not possible to upgrade it to lockout (you can easily upgrade an RL to gain lockout threshold making it an RLT, but no an R to RL/RLC). A new damper cartridge can be bought and very easily dropped in but it'll cost hundreds of dollars.
Another option is Fox are clearing out 09 stock for damn cheap right now, if you're really set on lockout then get your shop to call and find out how much a QR15 F series is going for - they'll be surprised too ;)

That said, just adjust your riding style to suit... the bigger benefits from having an RL or RLC isn't just the lockout, as nifty a feature as it is, but the upgraded damping (ie shims and piston) in those forks makes for a nicer ride outright.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Another option is Fox are clearing out 09 stock for damn cheap right now, if you're really set on lockout then get your shop to call and find out how much a QR15 F series is going for - they'll be surprised too ;)
You got the email as wel eh ;). I feel like buying a few pairs, just in case the opportunity comes up to use them over the next few years :p.