Fox FIT RLC Damper Top Cap coming loose

Boreit

Likes Dirt
a mate has a Fox FIT RLC 32mm fork, the top cap on the damper keeps coming undone. it has been in for a warranty repair a cpl times to no avail. Does anyone understand what would cause this & what needs to happen to resolve permanently?
thanks

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
That's a bizarre issue. There's no rotational force on that part, there should be no reason for it to undo. There's also an O-ring above the threads on the top cap which acts as a seal, but also provides resistance to any rotation. Check if the O-ring is damaged or missing, and check that the top cap is tight. It should be tight. If in doubt, tighten (with the correct socket, not a shifting spanner).

- Joel

Boreit

Likes Dirt
That's a bizarre issue. There's no rotational force on that part, there should be no reason for it to undo. There's also an O-ring above the threads on the top cap which acts as a seal, but also provides resistance to any rotation. Check if the O-ring is damaged or missing, and check that the top cap is tight. It should be tight. If in doubt, tighten (with the correct socket, not a shifting spanner).

- Joel
bizarre is a great description... when the fork is locked out it doesnt come loose. as soon as it is"unlocked" & free to work up & down in the stroke is comes loose! oring is fine & each time it has come loose has gone back to the fox distributor. this is the 3rd time now, surely something would be obvious on disassembly to create the sort of torque required to loosen the top cap?

Grifter

Cannon Fodder
bizarre is a great description... when the fork is locked out it doesnt come loose. as soon as it is"unlocked" & free to work up & down in the stroke is comes loose! oring is fine & each time it has come loose has gone back to the fox distributor. this is the 3rd time now, surely something would be obvious on disassembly to create the sort of torque required to loosen the top cap?
I have the same problem with my Fox F120 RL. Did you ever solve this issue?

thanks

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Fox Float RL 120 -- cap repeatedly coming loose

As above ---

has anyone solved this?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Matt

redbruce

Eats Squid
a mate has a Fox FIT RLC 32mm fork, the top cap on the damper keeps coming undone. it has been in for a warranty repair a cpl times to no avail. Does anyone understand what would cause this & what needs to happen to resolve permanently?
thanks
Does the top cap retaining screw come loose (allowing the cap to move relative to the shaft it is attached to) or is the screw firm and the cap and shaft loose?

Also, when the screw is firm, does the top cap rub on the low speed compression adjust knob (or vice versa actually)?

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Mine was full of sand and grit and I removed it to clean it late one night in the back shed. Unknown to me I had unscrewed the metal core that the top cap screws into and when I pushed down on the forks to see compression level the entire core and metal plug shot out of the fork with a stream of oil. i never found all the parts and have gaff taped the top cap on till I can get replacement parts.
Point - dont undo the top cap and cycle the forks in the dark after a few beers.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Does the top cap retaining screw come loose (allowing the cap to move relative to the shaft it is attached to) or is the screw firm and the cap and shaft loose?

Also, when the screw is firm, does the top cap rub on the low speed compression adjust knob (or vice versa actually)?
Is it the cap on the left (dust cap for air) or the right, with all the adjustment knobs? Putting all the adjustment knobs back on can be tricky and fiddly and there are plenty of tricks.