Fox Float Rebuild

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I've done a search and can't find any info...

Just wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt the damper (not the air sleeve) of a Fox Float rear shock (or similar kind without a piggy-back).

I have taken an old one apart to suss out the inner workings, and essentially work out how to rebuild/bleed the damper.
I have previously done a number of DHX rebuilds, but they are much easier as they have a piggy-back with the scraeder valve on it.

there's a good photo of one here:
http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/soc09-fox-shocks_04.jpg

It appears that the damper is pressurised via the hex grub screw near the base of the shock (the centre of which is gooped up with silicone).
I'm guessing that some sort of special fitting is required to be able to pump air (or nitrogen???) into the damper, via this grub screw, and then you would need to turn the grub screw to seal it off before detatching the pump????

If anyone has any experience servicing this sort of damper, i'd like to know how!

BTW, don't bother responding if you are just going to say "take it to a service centre", as I am doing this as an educational exercise, rather than out of a need to use the shock again.

Cheers,
Hugh.

Mick01

Likes Bikes
I'd be interested to know how to do this too. My searches haven't revealed anything apart from the simple air sleeve service. I guess from the lack of response on this thread no one out there has any info either.

The two problems I can see with servicing this part of the shock though, are:
  1. re-pressurising the dampener and
  2. getting parts from Fox if you needed to replace anything that was worn. I haven't seen them available anywhere

mick