Fox Fork cap keeps coming loose

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
I've got a Fox 32 F100 RL fork and find that every few weeks I need to tighten up the right cap (this is the one that requires a 26mm socket).

Is this a common issue? Are there any simple solutions?

The LBS did loctite this when they serviced it once and that did seem to help but not solve it completely. Can I simply undo the cap and apply some more loctite are am I in danger of opening up a can of (oily) worms?

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can undo the cap - no worries - nothing will explode out of your forks and punch you in the face!

However - depressurise them routinely when doing any maintenance. Also, make sure you use the correct socket and seat it very carefully, as the lip on that cap is very shallow and very easy to round off...

Normally, they don't come loose. So I'd suggest there may be a small tolerance problem with your thread??? Remove it, get all the oil off both the male and female threads, apply some locktite (go green to start with, then if that doesn't work, go blue).

Don't overtighten beyond torque recommendations... Both my TALAS and F100 caps are lubed (with grease), and never come loose.

T-Rex

Template denier
Also, make sure you use the correct socket and seat it very carefully, as the lip on that cap is very shallow and very easy to round off....
A handy hint that the Fox service man told me - grind a couple of mm off the socket on a belt sander, it will engage much better on the cap, and substantially reduce the chance of you rounding it off.