Fox Fork Lockout Bearings

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
I have a fox 32 f100 rl and took off the lockout lever to clean. I've done this quite a few times before but finally the inevitable happened and I lost one of the tiny bearings in the blue lever.

Are these easy to source? Do the lbs have spares? Or are they a standard size that I can get from a hardware store or ball bearing supplier?

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
I have a fox 32 f100 rl and took off the lockout lever to clean. I've done this quite a few times before but finally the inevitable happened and I lost one of the tiny bearings in the blue lever.

Are these easy to source? Do the lbs have spares? Or are they a standard size that I can get from a hardware store or ball bearing supplier?
Go to a bearing shop. If you're unlucky it will cost you 20c.

tu plang

knob
I'd head straight to a bearing shop. I've dropped one twice before in the workshop and generally the smallest bearings we ever had for normal bike parts was like 1/16" and those are 1/32" so we never had spares... luckily i managed to find them both times... amongst all my hair on the ground which I had by then pulled out.

PS dont quote me on that size. it could be one size up or down either way for both... its been a while.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are stated as 0.078" or 5/64", whichever you choose. That's 1.98mm, or...well... 2mm ;)
Wouldn't be surprised if a bearing shop had a minimum order, but get your local bike shop to go you halves as it'll only cost a few dollars anyway.

Helpful hint: When the lever is clean put a dab of grease in each hole to hold the bearings in place, it'll stop them from dropping out and also help keep things clean and working smooth.

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
Thanks b_S. I found a supplier in the UK that did the exact size and just fitted one in with a dab of grease. All as good as new.

Don't you love the Aussie exchange rate at the moment?!

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I buy my shoelaces (and plenty of other trivial crap) from the UK/OS, oh the convenience of the internets... and when you factor in the cost of a bus trip or just the hassle of wrestling with shopping centres it works out cheaper too :D

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
Yes I bought a ball bearing from the UK (plus a few spares so I don't have to worry again)! It does sound absolutely crazy but as b_S explains, it's so much esaier to do this on the internet that find a local supplier.

And I ride the buses too!

redhardtail

Likes Bikes
i lost one two weeks back

am currently running on two - its seems to be going okay

which website did you order the replacement bearings from?