Fox fork seal foam

BENH

Squid
As the title describes i have some factory 32's and factory 36's that i want to service them both. I have watched some you tube videos all seems ok from a tech side. I was thinking of just doing the foam seals, good clean out and fresh oil. Does anyone have a good source for just the foam? I saw some on ebay... but not to sure on quality.

cheers guys

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Set down some absorbent towel, place the rings on it, put some more towel over the top and use a 'rolling pin' type implement to roll and squeeze the old oil out. Move the rings to a clean part of the towel 8-10 times and roll over them until no dirty oil stains the towel, they will nearly be white again.

Soak in Fox Float and replace them. Ive done this on forks several times before replacing the foam rings, even got a set soaking in degreaser at the moment as a trial. Probably depends on the service interval on how many times you can do it before they go loose, at a guess mine would be 500km between a leg/seal clean, oil change and ring clean. I dont even replace the crush washers, torque to 6nm and never have a leak.

T-Rex

Template denier
Brake cleaner is also good for cleaning the dirt and oil out of the foam seals.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Or warm soapy water in an ultrasonic bath, then roll out in a rag as per everyone else’s recommendations, back in the bath, will get them squeaky clean

Aldi recently had small ultrasonic cleaning baths, intended for jewellery for about 25 bucks. Great for small parts

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Set down some absorbent towel, place the rings on it, put some more towel over the top and use a 'rolling pin' type implement to roll and squeeze the old oil out. Move the rings to a clean part of the towel 8-10 times and roll over them until no dirty oil stains the towel, they will nearly be white again.

Soak in Fox Float and replace them. Ive done this on forks several times before replacing the foam rings, even got a set soaking in degreaser at the moment as a trial. Probably depends on the service interval on how many times you can do it before they go loose, at a guess mine would be 500km between a leg/seal clean, oil change and ring clean. I dont even replace the crush washers, torque to 6nm and never have a leak.
Seperately, do you touch the damper when servicing (bleed)?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Seperately, do you touch the damper when servicing (bleed)?
Only on a couple of occasions when it felt like there was something wrong or....

A few months ago I had a little incident where I snapped the Fox Rebound Knob Assembly off a 32 Factory, this required a full FIT damper bleed.

This is one of the bottom bolt screws, where the rebound knob attaches to. I attempted to torque to the normal value but it didnt tighten, must have maybe hit it somehow, it just split and the whole bottom end came off in the socket. NSD express posted me one that day and it was in Adelaide the next day.

If you have limited knowledge like me and learn stuff off youtube, my thoughts are - if its not broken, dont fix it. I'll try most minor service/repairs but anything else I'll send it to NSD... if its worth sending that is.