Fox Fork worn stanchions basic maintenance

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi, i have an old set of 2011 fox 32 forks I have put on my second bike; old 26inch hardtail/shit weather kick around bike. I just noticed the stanchions are worn through the coating near the seals. They aren't leaking oil and seem pretty solid apart from the fox crown creak.
I know a new csu is in order but really I don't see the point considering I have another $$$ bike to maintain.
Forks haven't been serviced for a few years.. so what do you guys and girls reckon I can get away with to keep them going on the cheap?
New seals and an oil change? I don't have the lubes and seal kit so it will prob cost me about $90.. Can I just clean up the existing seals and foam, lube up and reassemble? Not sure about the crush washer if I can resuse that also?
As for fork oil, any cheaper options out there?
Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'd gamble a shit weather kick around bike would need a oil change and seal replacement.

If all else seems reasonable well then just do that and see how it goes.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You won't get much, if any oil leakage because there is only a small amount in the lowers for bushing lubrication anyway; the major, critical oil is in the right stanchion. Unless the damper has shit itself and dumped all its oil into the lower leg (like early CTD cartridges did).

A new wiper kit will include the crush washers for the bottom bolts.

The main issues from stanchion wear are sloppiness in the fork, feeling and sounding rather like a loose headset because the stanchions are running loose in the bushings, and it will be sticky and not smooth in its travel, especially in the top stroke, because the worn bits will be sitting slightly off-square and binding in the bushings. When you do a lower service, butter up the bushings with a generous coat of Slick Honey or similar slippery grease. It won't feel like new, but will help take some of the stickiness out of the travel.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys.
Duckmeister, really great info I appreciate it. Will order the all the bits and service the lowers.
Interesting the forks aren't sloppy at all but they do make a creaky cracky noise which I put down to the old fox CSU issue. The fork doesn't make any noise when being pumped up and down. There is a very slight rattle when bouncing the front wheel which I reckon might be the bushings..
The fork is definitely not super smooth but certainly not complete crap either. It probably went 2-3 times over the (outrageous) service intervals fox specify..
So other than shite performance will the forks will just keep on keeping on until they seize up one day? (With regular lower servicing)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you do a lower service, butter up the bushings with a generous coat of Slick Honey or similar slippery grease. It won't feel like new, but will help take some of the stickiness out of the travel.
Hey duckmeister, I serviced the lowers today as you suggested and happy to say the forks fell pretty darn good. The worn stanchion is only on one side and a small patch near the seal so it could have been a case of crap getting in the seal and lack of an oil/seal change.
Hopefully they keep running for a while yet.
Thanks mate.