FOX Racing Questions?

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few questions for the bike mechanics:

Considering some new forks for my 2011 Giant Trance X2. Currently fitted with Fox 32 F125 RL (Giant exclusive). Used 100% for trail/XC racing by a 115kg male rider.

Questions are these:
  1. Would it be better to buy a 120mm fork or TALAS 140mm?
  2. Can these be dropped to 130mm?
  3. What does FLOAT mean (in terms of FOX forks)?

Shredden

Knows his goats
1. Go 120mm for XC in my opinion, others may disagree.
2. Very good chance, shoudl just be a job involving a 20mm piece of PVC
3. FLOAT just means it has an air spring, VAN means coil spring and TALAS means air spring travel adjust.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I have an older trance X (120mm) which I've upgraded to a 140mm Talas fork (140/120/90).I use the 120mm for low speed technical stuff or climbing and
the 140 for going fast or going down.
I can't speak highly enough of having the option to lengthen the front end and slacken the head angle at speed,
the bike is so much more stable in the 140mm setting. I've always been curious as to wether you can custom the adjustments on a talas,
Ken at tekin suspension would be the man to ask, if you do drop him a line put up a post with his reply please.

Ivan

Eats Squid
A few questions for the bike mechanics:

Considering some new forks for my 2011 Giant Trance X2. Currently fitted with Fox 32 F125 RL (Giant exclusive). Used 100% for trail/XC racing by a 115kg male rider.

Questions are these:
  1. Would it be better to buy a 120mm fork or TALAS 140mm?
  2. Can these be dropped to 130mm?
  3. What does FLOAT mean (in terms of FOX forks)?
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that i read on MTBR that your 125RL's are actually 140RL's with a spacer inside them to reduce the travel. So you could just open them up and remove the spacer and you should have a 140mm fork. This would slacken your HA and SA by ~1 degree and raise you BB by a little bit.

As completely random info, I just bought a Trance X frame and when it arrives I'll be putting my RS Revelations on at 140mm. The Revelations have been a great fork so far.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I am building up a 120mm travel frame at the moment. I have just taken delivery of its new fork - Fox TALAS 150. Intention is to ride it in 120mm mode most of the time but get to something more technical/downhill - BAM drop the seat post and extend the fork to 150!