FOX Talas 32 RLC rebuild (1st gen)

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Since the old 32 will take a little longer to get running again than anticipated, I've decided to throw on a different Fox fork from the same era that I'm not currently using so mrs dazz can ride it.
@safreek approved??? It looks like a mullet, but it's not... lol.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I agree!
@dazz, what did Mrs Dazz do to deserve this?
I can see if I've got a fork you can borrow until you get the other sorted?
It should only be a week or 2, hopefully.
That model 40 is actually adjustable down to 150mm, so might do that if she's not a fan of the chopper feel.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
It should only be a week or 2, hopefully.
That model 40 is actually adjustable down to 150mm, so might do that if she's not a fan of the chopper feel.
I just remembered it's a Manitou Skareb I have spare. Not sure if it'll suit but the offer is there. Straight steerer, QR axle, 26".

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Dazz i think you should accept that IFP tool offered to you! You probably won't ever see another one of those!
My homemade one took 3 tries to get right. Centre boring the 8/32 rod was not the easiest job unless you have lathe

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Hey Dazz i think you should accept that IFP tool offered to you! You probably won't ever see another one of those!
My homemade one took 3 tries to get right. Centre boring the 8/32 rod was not the easiest job unless you have lathe
I know right, those genuine Fox IFP tools are pretty rare! That's why I'd rather see it go to Link.
My 'problem' is choosing which lathe to get it done in, so pretty confident I'll be right. If I still somehow manage to fail at it, I'll borrow the tool from Link who is much closer to Ballarat than Sebby.

safreek

Since the old 32 will take a little longer to get running again than anticipated, I've decided to throw on a different Fox fork from the same era that I'm not currently using so mrs dazz can ride it.
@safreek approved??? It looks like a mullet, but it's not... lol.

View attachment 380244
Very well done my friend. It looks good. And your partner should owe you many favours for looking after them so well.
If you can find a coil shock they will be well impressed. Approval given as well as respecpa

dazz

Downhill Dazz
So my buddy found some spare time to turn the stanchions around in the CSU and I have them back!

Now that's done, time to re-assemble. Stace can then get to work wearing out the other side of the stanchion legs. Although its got some slop from the wear, as long as I don't pinch/nick any o-rings, the fork should function perfectly well.

I really wanted to get some pics of the work done on the CSU as my toolmaker buddy does some nice work! But covid...

dazz

Downhill Dazz
So forks are all back together, a bloke over on huckingkitty mtb tech forum had all the info needed which was super handy.

Everything is working again height adjust and all!

Will have to let mrs dazz ride it for a bit to see if I need to adjust the spring pressures but seemed OK during the driveway test.

Will post some piccies up later.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's ummm... A lot more effort than I thought those forks would need, ever get, or even really deserve.

Solid effort all round

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

dazz

Downhill Dazz
That's ummm... A lot more effort than I thought those forks would need, ever get, or even really deserve.

Solid effort all round

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Really only stripped them, cleaned them and reassembled with new fluids. Only extra step I took was having my buddy rotate the stanchions for me.
I went as far as I needed to. Zero new parts aside from some loctite and fork oil I already had in the cupboard, no 'Fox float fluid' here mate! :D:p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Really only stripped them, cleaned them and reassembled with new fluids. Only extra step I took was having my buddy rotate the stanchions for me.
I went as far as I needed to. Zero new parts aside from some loctite and fork oil I already had in the cupboard, no 'Fox float fluid' here mate! :D:p
Great outcome. Old Fox are worth the effort.

Keep the servicing up to them and they will be going for some time yet. I just clean mine up and replace the seals when they weep oil. There hasn't been much else that I've had to do.