[FR] Canfield Balance - Hopefully the only one in OZ :P

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Just recently got this built up after getting it off Ty from down in Melbourne.

Frame - Canfield Balance 5-6" travel VPP
Rear shock - DHX5
Front shock/fork - RS Pike
Handlebars - No brand soon to be Holzfeller
Stem - No brand, soon to be another no brand :p
Headset - Hope
Grips - ODI
Saddle - SDG
Seatpost - DMR
Front brake - Hope M4 7"
Rear brake - Hope M4 7"
Cranks - Holzfeller OCT
Chainguide - E13 LG1
Chain - SRAM stamped
Pedals - DMR V8
Rear derailleur - Shitmano Tiagra
Rear shifter - Shitmano LX
Cassette - SRAM 9 speed
Front hub - DMR Revolver
Rear hub - Chris King Disc
Front rim - Mavic 729
Rear rim - Mavic 321
Spokes - Do you really care?
Nipples - 32x2 of them
Tyres - Maxis ... Designed by Hans Rey
Tubes - Yes
Total weight - Haven't weighed, but I'd say around 16.5...

And here she is:

The rear end is quite firm at the moment, so if anyone's got a 500x2.3 spring, throw it my way. The front end is too soft, so if you have a firm Pike spring, throw it this way too :)

I know you'd diss me out about the rear brake cable, but I'll reroute that in the future.

I now have a spare DMR Side kick frame which I'll be building up as a 24" very soon. Stay tuned :D

M.artin

Arrow Racing
You are oh' so lucky - I love those frames, Would love to see a ride report.

Enjoy! - Sweet build.

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
Yeah, guy guys are right, Cromo front, and Alu back... heavier than usual... but coming from a DMR cromo Sidekick, this isn't too diff :p

Spoke to Chris Canfield himself the other day, and he told me he still rides one for DJ.... hmmm not sure that's what I'll do with it though ahhaha

kerbdrop

Likes Dirt
Canfield! Nothing like a boutique bike!

But fix that brake line!! other than that, sweet build man :cool:

Remember, 3 rides a month or I want the head set back!

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
Ride update

I finally had a chance to go to Oxford falls with my Balance last weekend, and I must say, the bike rocks!

I'm not the most experienced dirt rider, have mostly stuck with trials and road riding. Taking my bike on the rough stuff was definitely an experience!

At the beginning I was feeling a little uneasy over the rocky sections, rough berms, and taking and landing jumps. But after a few runs I was getting very confident, because the bike simply stuck to the track, the front never washed out once, the rear skipped very little.

I have the firm springs in the Pike, and 550 pound rear shock spring. The front end is just about right for the terrain I was riding, the rear was a little on the stiff side, but that's what I'm used to on my hard tail anyways.

Next upgrade I'm thinking is the Float 36, and a set of Elixir 5 to reduce some weight.

I've also built up my DMR frame with 24" Halo tornados, when I can I'll get some pics up.

Out

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Canfield is awesome :)

Anyone remember their old creations ? (Warning contains HUCK content)

Canfield Fatty Fat

Canfield Big Fat Fatty Fat

starship303

Likes Dirt
Very nice Balance mate. Funnily enough i was actually admiring this bike whilst it was hanging off the back of a car driving through F'Forest about a week ago (i was in my car, to your left LOL). My g/f who was with me couldn't understand the big deal. "Meh, its just a bike".. Great looking bike, especially in the flesh, and the first i've seen.