Frame Builders That Would Build a DH Hardtail, An Ideas?

fairy1

Banned
I ordered a frame a couple of years ago and I just found out it won't be happening, damn, so I will have some US made 4130 tubing some dropouts I had sent from Germany I also want a 1.5" CR-MO headtube.
So I need someone to finish my project, would anyone in Australia have a go or are they just doing thin walled XC bikes still?

Cheers.

bodgie

Likes Dirt
No idea on where you could get it done but interested to see how it turns out. Any ideas on what geo your gonna have and what fork are you planning on pairing it with? Hardtail downhill is fun, although be prepared for your knees to cop a beating, with no rear shock your knees become your suspension.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You ordered it a couple of years ago , and just found out that it would not be built ?

I would be seriously pissed off, to say the least !

Interested to see the finished product. Are there not any factory frames that would be suitable ?

anth69

Likes Dirt
what tubes do you have ? are they preformed ? (ie, chainstays) , do you have a particuler geometry ?

fairy1

Banned
I had another thread ages ago about DH HT geo, this is what I'm going with-

TT- 595mm dropped 40mm from top of ST
ST- 375mm 30.4mm dia
STA- 68deg
CS- 405-419mm(16.14-16.69")
HA- 66deg with sag
HT- 110mm long
BB height- 312mm 73mm width, 113mm max 36T ring, ISCG tabs

http://www.2soulscycles.com/evo2EN/

tasty.dirt- pissed it didn't get built yeah not really pissed at the builder he got screwed in that GFC thingy. There are some frames suitable now but I already have some bits so I'm keen to get it done, most hardcore frames still have high BB's. If you slap a big fork on a HT the BB only moves 2.5" max so they don't need full sus frame BB height, it stops them cornering properly which is where a HT should shine.

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
The TT's are too short, I'd need an 18" frame to get near the TT length I want and the Ragley is not actual length, my spec is.

Ragley bikes do look nice but I have had three frames designed by Brant and not one has been close to perfect, Planet X Compo had a crooked BB from new, both of my On-Ones were bought as seconds in OZ, one had overspray covering decals and the other had metal filings floating around in the frame. Neither a major problem but this will be my last crazy HT and it has to be perfect.

Also the bridgeless stays are nice for comfort but even with a 16" On-One it starts to wander A Lot when the terrain gets a bit rough, so I spec'd bigger tubing so I can still run bridgeless stays but have some more torsional stifness. Also I'd prefer a steeper seat tube angle so its easier to get over the back, it doesn't have to climb and if it does it won't be sitting down.