Frame it!

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
I'm in the mood for a new hardtail build, which due to existing parts will be a 2x10 drivetrain. I've got the following flexible criteria:

- 29er (same wheels as my Optic)
- boost rear spacing (see above)
- steel frame (never ridden one, am interested to try it out)
- 120-130mm fork travel (I don't ride trails that warrant a bigger fork)
- accepts front derailleur (see 2x10 above, going 1x would add extra $$$ to the build)
- external dropper cable routing (have KS Lev external)
- not 27.2 seatpost (Lev is 30.9, I've run it shimmed in a 31.6 tube before with no real issue)

It's most likely to see time as a trail bike that can use a front mounted child seat like a bobike or yepp mini. So far I've got three favourites:

1. Santa Cruz Chameleon (which my LBS tells me will be scarce as frame only in Aus)
2. Cotic Solaris MAX (frame seems to sit nicely under the GST threshold 'til July 1)
3. Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 (frame seems to sit not so nicely over the GST threshold, due to a massive shipping cost)

Are there any others out there I should consider?

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I'm in the mood for a new hardtail build, which due to existing parts will be a 2x10 drivetrain. I've got the following flexible criteria:

- 29er (same wheels as my Optic)
- boost rear spacing (see above)
- steel frame (never ridden one, am interested to try it out)
- 120-130mm fork travel (I don't ride trails that warrant a bigger fork)
- accepts front derailleur (see 2x10 above, going 1x would add extra $$$ to the build)
- external dropper cable routing (have KS Lev external)
- not 27.2 seatpost (Lev is 30.9, I've run it shimmed in a 31.6 tube before with no real issue)

It's most likely to see time as a trail bike that can use a front mounted child seat like a bobike or yepp mini. So far I've got three favourites:

1. Santa Cruz Chameleon (which my LBS tells me will be scarce as frame only in Aus)
2. Cotic Solaris MAX (frame seems to sit nicely under the GST threshold 'til July 1)
3. Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 (frame seems to sit not so nicely over the GST threshold, due to a massive shipping cost)

Are there any others out there I should consider?
Banshee 29er hardtail looks fun? I have an older 27.5 Chameleon. Awesome bike but they are alloy.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/ragley-big-wig-hardtail-frame-2017/rp-prod145970

^^ Meets most of your criteria I believe.
I have the 2016 Bigwig 'just a frame sitting in the shed ATM' - but I am not selling it just in case my latest steely, 'a Niner Ros 9' doesn't past the test (we have had so much rain up here recently I haven't had the chance to really test her out yet).
The Bigwig is a great all-rounder - climbs well enough and does the rest with ease (for me anyway). Cheers :)

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Jeez... why is it so cheap (apart from the ugly paint job)?

That is a pretty frame... but I can't see any provision for a front derailleur. Am I wrong?

Theres a few runout Niner ROS9's about online. 142mm rear though.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!OsiDSWh-e...mX3_PyNRVGvljPxYBfYJP3kK8L6F0o5CKIaApfW8P8HAQ
Looks like they only have smalls left, which is unfortunate.

Banshee 29er hardtail looks fun? I have an older 27.5 Chameleon. Awesome bike but they are alloy.
Can't find one on their site... more info please?

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Ah so you want expensive and pretty. https://www.pushys.com.au/production-privee-shan-gt935-29er-frame-black-red.html

I think that fits the bill.
I like the Rothmans blue colour scheme personally ;)
No FD support, no good to me.

Yes, you only asked what other bikes you should consider... not a personal shopping assistant ;)
And consider I have done. Also, where the hell have all the hardtails gone from Niner's line-up??

I wonder how many "what hardtail should I buy" threads can be derailed into Production Privee love ins....

If a Shan doesn't stimulate any interest(?!?) the Stanton Sherpa fits the bill.
That's pretty. I feel like a wanker for saying this, but it misses on the boost rear spacing. Always a compromise :/

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Get the new Solaris - my 2013 one is still rad - guessing the new ones will just as much fun (and versatile).

Not too many other frames I'd recommend have got boost spacing yet...

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
I'm tempted to try and get one to replace the frame on my cannondale, called my lbs and they said the distributor didn't even have it listed and would have to talk to them directly.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
I think confirmation bias is pointing me at the Solaris. As well as the pretty green one in the new PYR thread.

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen.