Frame specific question - Van Nicholas

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Just been looking at 2 bikes - the Van Nicolas Zion and Tuareg (see here http://vannicholas.com/16/Zion/bike.aspx and here http://vannicholas.com/14/Tuareg/bike.aspx).

What I am trying to understand is what justifies the significant price difference here in Australia? (http://www.blueglobe.com.au/category/type/mountain-bike). Retails of 1800 for the Zion vs. 2600 for the Tuareg. I am aware that this might be a better question for the distributor, but has anyone here owned/ridden both of these frames and can they explain what the ride difference is?

Very curious to this as the only difference in frame that I can ascertain is 1. different length chainstays and 2. the seat stay in the Tuareg has the fancy VN construction.

Opinions on a comparative ride are most welcome and appreciated (I have only seen a write up on the Tuareg in Jan '11 AMB).

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say the tube manipulation, different dropouts/brake mounts, more welding on the Taureg, fancy seat stay yoke and tapered head tube all go towards making the Taureg more expensive. I can't help with a ride report, sorry.:)

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Tuareg

Hi onedollar, I own one of these beasts ( 2011 model Tuareg frame, XT build) and have to say that what I got was essentially the same frame as the 2012 but for $1800 instead of paying the 2012 price of $2600. Both of the frames are made in China ( not a bad thing in my opion,some may disagree).
I may be a complete pleb but I couldn't really tell much difference between my old aluminium hardtail ( apart from a slightly more compliant feeling in the rear end) and the Tuareg Ti frame, the handling is pretty much the same, so I guess for me it came down to wanting something different.
hope this helps.
cheers H.

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that input. Its worth hearing these things, because as you are aware its alot of money to be spending on a frame only.

Just trying to understand the difference between the two. I guess if it comes down to the quality of the finish (special attention to detail on the Tuareg) then perhaps it can be justified that way.

Me, well... I'm more of a performance based person and it seems to be that the Zion is bang for buck kind of territory.

Interesting what you say about your interpretation of the Tuareg being essentially similar to the old hardtail you rode...

Hi onedollar, I own one of these beasts ( 2011 model Tuareg frame, XT build) and have to say that what I got was essentially the same frame as the 2012 but for $1800 instead of paying the 2012 price of $2600. Both of the frames are made in China ( not a bad thing in my opion,some may disagree).
I may be a complete pleb but I couldn't really tell much difference between my old aluminium hardtail ( apart from a slightly more compliant feeling in the rear end) and the Tuareg Ti frame, the handling is pretty much the same, so I guess for me it came down to wanting something different.
hope this helps.
cheers H.

Handekk

Likes Dirt
I would say that from a performance based view that the Tuareg would be better ( in terms of racing) than the Zion, the Zion has no tapered head tube, and I would say that the Zion would be more of a traditional style of tubing as opposed to hydroformed tubing on the Tuareg.:02.47-tranquillity:
H