Frankenbike project

Axion

Squid
Well I wanted a bike for tootling around the roads on but i don't like road bikes. I also had a decent XT/XTR gearset from my all mountain rig sitting in my garage and an old raceline 26' hard tail. I thought why not rebuild that bike as a road hybrid and this is what I have ended up with. It took a while to get all the parts together, spent plenty of time in the for sale section and hunting for deals on CRC and Jenson but I am stoked with the final product. The bike is surprisingly light and lighter than some of the cheaper carbon road bikes in the lbs I got to do the final assembly. I don't know how much it weighs as I have not weighed it but I reckon it would be under 10 kgs.

Here is a bit of a summary

Raceline frame powder coated Matt black
Carbon Cycles carbon front fork
XT/XTR drive train
Easton bar, seat post
Fizik saddle
Jet Black pedals
New model Deore brakes look just like my XT'S on my all mountain but a 3rd the price.
Deore XT 29er rims
slx centrelock rotors
Gator skin tyres 25mm
fsa headset

Attachments

Last edited:

2-fast

Likes Dirt
nice wok mate! Although you might find the gearing to be too low for the road. Ive got a similar set up with a triple chainring and ended up ditching the two lower front chainrings and moving the 44t into the middle. Goes fine for my 25km commute with 650m of climbing :llama:

Axion

Squid
Gearing seems not too bad, I have 40/28 front rings. I will ride it for a while and see how I go, it is still a massive step up from my full sus which is running 1x10 and a 32t front ring. With 2.3 contis that bike is a real workout on the road whereas this felt effortless in comparison.

2-fast

Likes Dirt
Gearing seems not too bad, I have 40/28 front rings. I will ride it for a while and see how I go, it is still a massive step up from my full sus which is running 1x10 and a 32t front ring. With 2.3 contis that bike is a real workout on the road whereas this felt effortless in comparison.
Ohh ok. Didn't realise it was a 40t! You're sweet then!!

Axion

Squid
Yes definitely more than enough top end for me, i was riding down a slight gradient the other and thought i would see how fast I could go in top gear and I was passing cars albeit a 60k zone but man speed is addictive :)