Frankenlight

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
I have an old Niterider Storm light that has a ballast problem. After about 45 minutes it heats up and the light goes out, give it 5 minutes to cool and away it goes again for another 45 minutes.
Now given that this light has lasted me 6+ years and given me nothing but good times I suppose I have my moneys worth out of it, but I have 2 batteries, one near enough to brand new (and they are bloody expensive!), so I don't want to throw the whole thing and start from scratch if possible, and I reckon someone here in RB land will have an idea

a) If there is a way I can easily convert it to an LED light?
b) where buy a new ballast and how hard is it to replace?
c) Any other suggestions to get me a good reliable replacement for my old warhorse that I can use my current batteries??

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
a. not really
b http://www.hidtechnologies.com.au/index.php
c. voltage? Nimh I believe?

Maybe you could get a whole new light head, or current niterider equivilant, but that sounds expensive.
You certainly could fit an LED module somehow but it would be a lot of fiddling about & would need to be designed with battery voltage in mind. Have a look here;http://www.cutter.com.au/categories.php
a) Kinda thought that, but worth an ask
b) hmmm, not a bad option...price seems reasonable, are they hard to change yourself?
c) 13.2 V, Nimh

I inquired about a new head, but they are really out of date, and there is no current equivalent that is compatable, so I was hoping someone might know of another brand running LED's at 13.2V
I don't know my electrical skills stretch to designing and building my own module...but certainly some food for thought there!
Thanks Spongebob!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
go and buy a 12V led downlight (MR16) and then find a suitable something to fit it in. maybe some garden light pods?

off the shelf 12V led downlight replaceemnt should run on about 8V-16V and they use very little power. no need for fancy modules, just wire a switch and straight to th ebattery.

I've got and old home made light set with 12V sealed lead acid brick, it used to run two 12V downlight globes in a couple of car driving-light mounts. it's big, heavy, but puts out a lot of light. when I ran a 20W and 50W halogen I had up to 1-1/2hrs of light. recently got hold of a 3W(?) led downlight replacement and the sucker'll run for 7hrs on 'low beam'. I haven't replaced the 50W high beam yet, but when the globe is on the market for replacement I'll get one. I hardly use high beam - actually I hardly use the lights!