Free money!

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Whether it happens this week or next week is neither here nor there (FWIW I thinks it's bullshit that it has to be done immediatly or the payments will be delayed months). A longer delay than that is problematic though.

Labor are obviously trying to get some political advantage out of this, as are the Libs, Greens etc.. That's what politicians do.

Clearly the Libs strategy is to hope FF, Mr X and the Greens pass the thing - which they certainly will with a bit of fiddling around the side. If the world economy takes a turn for the worse and the package does fail, Malcolm can step up and say "I told you so". Their poll position is so bad ATM it is probably the only way they can win the next election. That the libs want to 'make the package better' is complete spin.

As for the success of the first package, here is some excellent analysis you should have a read of.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
I think the general concensus is that this will fail (as in not fix the problem), even the government has hinted this most probably wont be the last time they have to do this, especially with a future so uncertain.
With foriegn economies having such a big bearing on our plight (China, India, Japan, US) there are so many variables out there that we just dont know. We should assume the worst for most of these (as that seems to be the trend they are following) and act accordingly.
Hopefully the right decesion is made, which ever way it goes.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty random, but what about a tourism package?

Something like, put out ad campaigns around the world, and run a program where if you come to certain destinations in Australia as a tourist the government will pay for certain things + give you spending cash while your here.

E.G. You come to Cairns, the government pays for 2 nights of a hotel room for you, a reef trip and gives you $500 to spend.

?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As for the success of the first package, here is some excellent analysis you should have a read of.
Well that is kind of reasuring... maybe they do have the vaguest clue of what to do.. at least maybe we aren't heading straight for the iceburg!

Either way I just got a PAYG tax break from the tax office of 20% I wasn't expecting... so that saves me around 2 weeks of what I pay myself... that was unexpected and greatly needed!! Something to do with supporting small business which is a good idea.

smeck

Likes Dirt
Arete, have a look at The Gruen Transfer, specifically "the pitch" and you'll see the gag. If the bouncers let you in of course, for a small country they have lots of giants, eh bro!

Gravelclimber, evidence of government intervention stifling recovery is still opinion based but as more people analyse policy of the era its becoming more widespread. This is from today's Australian but there's plenty around if your interested, its not a new theory. You'll see this article was written by the same sort of academics who praise FDR, but they do raise valid points and they are not alone. Its the same here where an ill concieved knee jerk bank deposit guarantee made bank deposits more secure than Commercial paper, which increases the difficulty companies have in raising capital, thereby stifling growth.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25008973-7583,00.html

Essentially you can view this from any perspective and put a positive tilt on it, me from the right, you from the left. But at the end of the day saying the free market failed depends on what you think it is that the free market does. Markets boom and bust, they always have and they will continue to do so. Governments can try to control it but they always end up stifling growth, Communism is a great example.

There's a book by Phillip Ball called "Critical Mass" which is the world from the physicists perspective, these guys beaver away until the can model something with mathematical certainty and its amazing as to the applications of some of their findings. You'd be suprised to learn of the initial intentions of Karl Marx' research, and how much spin Lenin put into it. Its a dry read and it does show the enormous potential of what is possible, but apart from Russell Nash, few real advancements have been made in the modelling of economics. This is why the opinions of economists need to be carefully weighted and reasoned against each other. There is still a lot of instinct in what they do, hence the reason why I think Turnbull's misgivings deserve some level of pandering.

The US system fell over because they stopped sellin collateral and starting trading debt. And I'm sure you realise the issues of trading "nothing" when someone decides they want there money back. Mortgages in the US were NINJA loans, no income, no job, no assets, and over the top prices were paid for houses on the hope that capital gains would allow owners to refinance at new levels they could afford. However the US system is different, if you simply return your house keys to the bank thats it, the debt is finished for you. Even if you paid $400k for a $300k house, and the bank can only sell it for $300k, they cannot pursue you for the extra $100k. So who wears the loss, insurance companies and the merchant banks who bundled this debt and sold it. The US banking industry has failed, ours has not, so has the market failed or do areas of the market need to be regulated better. Bernie Madoff is a prime example of the need for regulation and oversight.

We don't have this arrangement, we don't have issues with inabilities to raise capital, as all the recent capital raisings done by Comm Bank, Bank of Qld, etc. And yes companies are expanding. BHP Billiton are still forging ahead with a $6billion Iron ore expansion, yes they have closed 1/3 of their Nickel capacity but its on care and maintenance and will restart when prices improve. Fortescue are increasing production and they see China recovering, the organisation I work for are aiming for records this year, and some of the contract partners I deal with are expanding to meet these needs. Good companies with responsible and costed plans are raising capital and growing.

As for the skills shortage, I'm in the middle of it. I know all about it and the myths that journalistic hysteria has spread. We have actually never had an issue recruiting tradesman, some have, but thats the nature of low unemployment, supply and demand. When I did my apprenticeship Keating wanted everyone to go to Uni, Howard started increasing technical colleges. The situation is more social and less economic and not relevant. Building things for the sake of it and giving money to everybody was Gough's Army, and that didn't end well. We need people/jobs to support future infrastructure, but what we don't need is infrastructure just to support jobs. Incurring massive amounts of government debt now is just going to stifle infrastructure in the future. The money must be repaid, and spending cuts will have to be made. Your plan relies on the free market to be there to take over while the government recovers, so the sooner the free market does that the better. Thats why you let the weak parts fail and the strong take over, from the ashes the phoenix will rise. Profit drives development, excessive regulation stifles it.

As for Tax cuts for the rich, if you earned money in the higher brackets you'll know what bollocks that statement is. The greater percentage cuts are always for the low income earners, and so are all the payments. A famiy with 2 kids on $60k doesn't actually pay tax once all the allownaces are paid out. So who does pay tax? Or is it unfair to give the same amount of money to someone contributing more? I paid $43k in tax last year, and yes that means I pocketed lots too, but why is it that if I get any stimulus it won't go into the economy. 31% of my income goes straight to the government. If you want to get rid of the moochers in society then high income earners isn't where you'd start. What's more a one off payment gives a one off boost to the retail sector. A tax cut and an interest rate reduction gives a weekly boost to the retail sector. A chunk of that will go to Aristocrat, another to Phillip Morris, CUB, etc, but that is the nature of the beast.

Interestingly you basically finished with what I've been saying all along, the solution is arbitrary, so lets arbitrate. And I think we should get the best brains in the country to do the arbitrating, not two career public servants with the economic foresight of a layman. Give them the opportunity to pour over the IMF and Treasury data and see what they think. If they come up with nothing they you can get call Benedict XVI and get Rudd cannonised at your earliest, but lets be sure before we empty our wallet.

Thats all from me on this, everybody feel free to comment if you feel the need, I'll stop clogging thread.

Last edited:

Kernal Klink

Likes Dirt
Pretty random, but what about a tourism package?

Something like, put out ad campaigns around the world, and run a program where if you come to certain destinations in Australia as a tourist the government will pay for certain things + give you spending cash while your here.

E.G. You come to Cairns, the government pays for 2 nights of a hotel room for you, a reef trip and gives you $500 to spend.

?
This is a really good idea! except that so few people are travelling abroad at the moment due to the crisis and (mostly unfounded) terroism fears..

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
2 questions for the economologic types as my understanding of these things is very limited.

1.There is lots of talk about the gubermnt going debt to prop up the economy, so with a global turn down Just who is we are borrowing money from?

2. Where did the money go in the first place. I think I understand share values and credit rates but most mums and dads in Aus haven't had millions wiped off their shares and are still taking home the same wage they were last year aren't they?

And A 3rd, if I may. If Macquarie group still pulled a $900 profit how can the justify slashing 1,000 Jobs? I mean doesn't slashing jobs just add to the econimic down turn? and wouldn't a company making $900 million dollars profit be better holding onto jobs for the long term benefit of the economy?

Last edited:

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
2 questions for the economologic types as my understanding of these things is very limited.

1.There is lots of talk about the gubermnt going debt to prop up the economy, so with a global turn down Just who is we are borrowing money from??
Rich asian banks

2. Where did the money go in the first place. I think I understand share values and credit rates but most mums and dads in Aus haven't had millions wiped off their shares and are still taking home the same wage they were last year aren't they?
It was artificial money in the first place, that people then leveraged off. Example, your home 'value' , is it really worth XXX,000? or the sum of its parts? scary stuff...

And A 3rd, if I may. If Macquarie group still pulled a $900 profit how can the justify slashing 1,000 Jobs? I mean doesn't slashing jobs just add to the econimic down turn? and wouldn't a company making $900 million dollars profit be better holding onto jobs for the long term benefit of the economy?
hopefully its 1000 bloody stockbrokers...

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Rich asian banksactually that's not quiet correct, they will have to sell (issue more) govt bonds, which will be at very high interest rates

It was artificial money in the first place, that people then leveraged off. Example, your home 'value' , is it really worth XXX,000? or the sum of its parts? scary stuff...

hopefully its 1000 bloody stockbrokers...it wont be, it's across the board. Business units will be shrinking and some will even be sold off. Mac bank will be over capacity on employees, and will there for reduce numbers in the appropriate areas. This is no different to retailers when things slow down.

zzxcbcvhsdfkl;g

Graunched

Likes Dirt
A question for the more financial savvy farkers...

Do you think the abolishment of the "fractional reserve banking system" would drastically reduce the chances of these series of events happening again?

smeck

Likes Dirt
Since this was caused by debt then yes, abolishing the Fractional reserve banking system would stop this from happening again. But so would limiting the amount of leveraging banks can use. It was merchant banks that failed here, though the banks themselves are probably equally to blame. The US is leveraged something like three times their GDP, they were selling debt and the bubble burst.

But consider the consequences. What happens if banks can't lend out their deposits and must keep all deposits in reserve?

That would mean that all loans and credit cards would have to be funded by the banks own money, which by the very nature of banking they dont have. Perhaps after many years they could build up the reserves to replace this but in the mean time there would be a complete halt to spending.
Banks are declaring $2b to $6billion a year in profit, Australia's personal debt levels are something close to $2trillion. Even if banks are limited to lending half their deposits there's still a shortfall. Imagine for the next four or five years that its nearly impossible to get a home loan, or a business loan. Rudd's $42billion stimulus wouldn't even touch the sides of that hole.

Imagine what that would do to the market recovery if increased spending is the solution?

Edit: here's a link that might help http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/04/2481964.htm

Its a bit left leaning, but it does highlight an area of the problem not getting much ariplay at the moment. I think you'll find there's no real solution to this yet, people are still coming to grips with all the facets of the problem. Hopefully the smart people will appear with something shortly.

Last edited:

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
The package has passed the senate. You'll all get your free $900 soon.

More of those non-existant no-name economists who support the package:

Last night, the Standing Committee on Finance and Administration delivered a preliminary report into the package claiming that "without timely implementation of this plan, the Australian economy could stall" with ATO chief Michael D'Ascenzo testifying that if the proposed March and April tax bonuses were delayed they couldn't be delivered until after tax time in June.

The Greens and Xenophielding are pushing for changes on housing and energy that probably have more to do with protecting special interests than reviving the nation’s flagging economy while Malcolm Turnbull wants a pared-back solution with tax cuts subsuming spending. The Senate is due to vote on the package tomorrow afternoon.

So, should the Senate pass the strategy in its non-amended form or fall in behind something like Turnbull's chastened proposal? If so; what would that entail? We asked a group of leading economic wise heads for their considered views:

Prof John Quiggin, University of Queensland: The government has the broad direction right and I really think Turnbull's floundering on this issue. The likelihood is that we're going to need more rounds of stimulus rather than less in the future and in that context locking in permanent tax cuts is really the worst thing you can do. One minor but important amendment the Senate should consider is the home insulation scheme that needs to be adjusted if the government's actually serious about reducing carbon emissions. We need a corresponding lowering of the emissions target which is essentially a hand-out to big emitters.

Alan Oster, NAB Chief Economist: No package is perfect. I don't have a problem with what the government is trying to do. I think they're basically trying to keep the consumer afloat until they can get on with the infrastructure spend in the middle of the year. I also don't think that this fiscal package is finished and there's going to be much more in the next budget. We're expecting a budget deficit of $50 billion, but based on the current package the government says the deficit will be $35 billion, so I think they're a long way from finished. Tax cuts have different effects although the “helicopter drop” that the government's undertaking now will have a temporary effect that's upfront. The tax cuts' stimulatory impact will be delayed.

Brian Redican, Senior Economist Macquarie Bank: It's imperative that the parliament pass the package now -- there's increasing urgency to stimulate household spending as soon as possible. In terms of improvements, there are some arguments floating around that tax cuts could boost confidence, so alongside giving people the money to spend, tax cuts would make them more likely to spend rather than save. But what's more important is the overall amount and timeliness with which the package is introduced.

Tony Meer, Deutsche Bank Chief Economist: With a budget of incoming expenditure of $300 million, everyone's got a bias about what the stimulus needs to be used for, but the reality is that there is limited evidence, there is no absolute. The reality is that there's now a package on the table which involves a significant amount of money going into the economy when we probably need it. We've seen ample evidence that the first round of fiscal stimulus worked, including the retail numbers and today's housing finance numbers. You can pontificate about which individual approach is right but the reality is we're faced with the most dire global economic environment that anyone currently working has ever seen. The simple fact is that it's appropriate to be making policy responses against that unprecedented negative trend. It doesn't matter whether the package is passed this week or next -- because one week won't make any difference. But the reality is we now have a significant package on the table and we'll see various amendments that will reflect the political bias of the individuals and parties involved. But I would assume that a large majority of the package will be passed as it's initially been canvassed.

Assoc. Prof. Steve Keen: The short answer is yes, the Senate should pass the stimulus package, but it won't stop the crisis. There are two reasons for that. One is that the government's fighting a "great deleveraging", so the private sector is going to be drastically reducing its debt levels, probably for the next 10 to 15 years. In the Australian case, we're talking debt levels of about $2 trillion. If the public tries to reduce its debt levels by 5% that'll strip $100 billion out of the economy. Pouring $42 billion back in is only part of the whole. Secondly, the Japanese tried stimuluating the economy for 15 years and the government's debt-to-GDP ratio went from 50% to 175% -- the economy there is still in a depression. This crisis is too big to fiscally stimulate our way out of. But trying to do that is better than not doing anything and Malcolm Turnbull’s stuff about "maybe half a package is just as good" shows that he still doesn’t get it.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Not everyone hehe, yeah I miss out on it but whats new eh.

I wouldn't exactly call it free either, more like its on loan, and will be paid back later down the line through increased taxes (but only for higher income earners :().

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So do the same people as were going to get it before get it, or has the groups its being given to changed now?

:confused:

EDIT: Apparently the Senate and the government reached some sort of agreement a few minutes ago...

Gruntled

Likes Dirt

I wouldn't exactly call it free either, more like its on loan, and will be paid back later down the line through increased taxes (but only for higher income earners :().
In the Dukes of Hazard theme song they are purported to be "like modern-day Robin Hoods". In turn I suggest Kevin Rudd is a modern-day Duke of Hazard, sans hot chicks and fast cars, but inclusive of the rob-the-rich-give-to-the-poor ethic. Gimme!

smeck

Likes Dirt

Same here, damn my highly respected and well remunerated skills. Maybe I should quit and become an unemployed drain on society so I can get some free money. We'll get to pay it back too, since the lower paid wont be able to afford the extra tax.

What shits me is the self funded retiree's that are missing out. But that's Labor to a tee, pander to those with their hands out and neglect those who accepted responsibilty for their retirement and made the sacrifices over the years to have some money left over. But I suppose that's fair, (they must have been rich so they can afford to miss out) what a load of crap. The tall poppy syndrome in this country really gets me sometimes.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Same here, damn my highly respected and well remunerated skills. Maybe I should quit and become an unemployed drain on society so I can get some free money.
That is hardly a highly respectable opinion, particularly when you consider, for example, I will be Dr. Gruntled soon, and am still in line for the payment that you deem worthy of those who are "a drain on society". You may have forgotten that, sadly, not all men are created equal, thus not everyone can reach the same "highly respected and well renumerated" status with which you endow yourself.