free wheel queries.

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, hoping to get some info here.

ive had this hub for quite some time now,http://www.paulcomp.com/diskword.html

and its come time to replace the freewheel. im interested in going to the smaller 14T free wheel, as at the moment i have the 16T freewheel.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51717 would be something similar to what im after.

interested to know whether the hub threads are different sizes for the 14T as it says something down the bottem of the above link that the smaller freewheel(14T) will only work with bmx hubs.

anyone able to clarify this for me?
thanks. hope it makes sense.
jacob

samson_blika

Likes Bikes
Different freewheel tools??

Are there different freewheel removal tools?

I have a shimano SF-MX30 freewheel 17t on the single speed
with the "Super B" freewheel tool I cannot get enough force without the tool slipping off.
The shimano has a raised spine that has gaps in it for the tool to slot into.

I have a spare "Dicta Brand" freewheel with me and the tool fits into this freewheel a lot nicer. The slots are recessed in the Dicta,
seems to make a difference.The dicta is not on a bike so I cannot see if the tool will slip off, but just slotting it in doesn't seem like it would?

Has anybody had this problem and do different brands tools fit differently?

Thanks
Simon

wombat

Lives in a hole
Anything smaller than 16t will need the smaller mounting thread on the hub. So unless your hub is a flip-flop unit the only option for increasing gearing us a bigger ring.

As for removal tools, there are a number of different ones, but they're quite different and not really interchangeable. If the took is jumping out of the slots try using an axle nut or skewer to hold it in place while you crack the freewheel.

Sent using Tapatalk.

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no worries guys, thanks for the info, ill just have to go buy a 16T again, and yeah if i want to increase my ratio, maybe go up to a 34t.
cheers