freecoasters

Sunday!

Likes Dirt
im considering getting a reverse, im out of riding for about 8 weeks because of broken bones and think that coming back into it with a freecoaster would be pretty cool.
I ride street and park, and nothing else. i ride with brakes, and occasionally with pegs, but not very often.
i can fakie normally pretty well, and want to see what it would be like being able to get into the whole fakie world.
but.... im worried that the whole massive slack when cranking forward is going to really annoy me... is this just something that you get used to??
and the other thing, i know that none of you run a reverse, but how high is the maintenance?? im a bike mechanic, and i love doing work on my bike, but not the extent where im working on my hub for a few hours every fortnight...

cheers

x

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know this isn't relevant, sorry, but how would a Geisha hold up to a peg if I was to put one on?

I'm also very curious about the answer to Sunday!'s questions, how high is freecoaster maintenance, and is the gap annoying?

bmxer

Likes Dirt
If you do tail whips don't get one. I rode a bike with one and always wondered why he could whip my bike, but never whipped his then i tried and put my front foot on and the gap was insane I almost smashed my chin on the bars.

but it was set up so it disengaged straight away when you rolled backwards and it did every time,except once.

A mate who had one on his bike said the gap killed him way too many times and he got bored of not pedaling backwards.he also thinks he can do more fakie tricks without it,now he has changes back to his normal profile wheel and hates the coaster.

bmxer

Likes Dirt
In my opinion unless you want to be like bruce crisman or ian schwartz its not worth it the gap kills you if you want it to disengage straight away.If I ever bought one I would keep my wheels i have now and just use that wheel when I want to ride street.The best thing about them is they make your bike sound so smooth because of the no free wheel noise.

xero

Supersports
im considering getting a reverse, im out of riding for about 8 weeks because of broken bones and think that coming back into it with a freecoaster would be pretty cool.
I ride street and park, and nothing else. i ride with brakes, and occasionally with pegs, but not very often.
i can fakie normally pretty well, and want to see what it would be like being able to get into the whole fakie world.
but.... im worried that the whole massive slack when cranking forward is going to really annoy me... is this just something that you get used to??
and the other thing, i know that none of you run a reverse, but how high is the maintenance?? im a bike mechanic, and i love doing work on my bike, but not the extent where im working on my hub for a few hours every fortnight...

cheers
Ok, For a start, lets just explain the diff between the Geisha and the Reverse, as the actual coaster mech is the same.
The Geisha has a internal alloy axel, which then takes the 14mm Hollow cr-mo studs.

The Reverse has exactly the same mech, just all machined out of cr-mo to make the complete hollow axel.

Maintenance wise, they have proven to be good, a little more trouble than a standard cassette hub, but in real terms not an issue>
Just pull them apart and give them a grease.

The whole freecoaster thing does take a while to get used to, no denying that, but most guys I know, myself included who are now running them have no issues after an initail period. First few rides will spin you out, then you will start to get the feel of it.
Its a hard call for me to say if you will love it or hate it, where the benefit is IMO though, is in the fact that the "street freecoaster" hubs have just opened up a whole new ball game for progression in riding.

As far as the Geisha holding up to pegs, there is no problem at all.
The top of the line KHE Hure cassette hub uses the same axel system as the Geisha.

Belle

Eats Squid
they are lovely
the gap is really easy to get used to, i took 1 out of three spacers every time i maintained my hub to adjust to the gap slowly, now that i am running the largest gap i would never go back to smaller gaps.
maintaining the hub is very user friendly and once you have done it once you get used to doing it regularly, i used to clean and grease the hub once a week for about 2 months but now around once a month i clean and grease it.
i had some small problems with it when i first got it but have been solved except for one, if i grip the wheel with my knees and move it side to side i feel small movement is this normal? if not a way to fix it?
cheers.

Belle

Eats Squid
its still a laugh seeing my mates jump on my bike and almost come of the front.
i am completely used to it now though.

Sunday!

Likes Dirt
thanks belle, so basically, your saying, the gap is good, but all your mates fall over the bars when they ride your bike :rolleyes: ahh that makes sense:confused:....
haha i'd love to see someone try and steal your bike, then just flip over the bars :p....

Belle

Eats Squid
haha ! well if you do what i said and find the gap that you want slowly bye taking an spacer out every time you grease the hub you should get used to it very fast. even if one of your mates does the first bunny hop front flip on your bike haha!

Sunday!

Likes Dirt
haha cheers belle, well i figure im basically going to have to relearn how to ride when i get back onto the bike anyway, as its a good 8-12 weeks away... so i figure if im relearning to ride, why not relearn with a freecoaster...
their pretty farking heavy tho, oh well, weight is no matter to me

xero

Supersports
they are lovely
the gap is really easy to get used to, i took 1 out of three spacers every time i maintained my hub to adjust to the gap slowly, now that i am running the largest gap i would never go back to smaller gaps.
maintaining the hub is very user friendly and once you have done it once you get used to doing it regularly, i used to clean and grease the hub once a week for about 2 months but now around once a month i clean and grease it.
i had some small problems with it when i first got it but have been solved except for one, if i grip the wheel with my knees and move it side to side i feel small movement is this normal? if not a way to fix it?
cheers.

I have only heard of 1 issue with movement, but that was due to the rear dropouts having a slight twist and being out of allignment.

(just playing with a hub right now)
All i can think of off the top of my head is that maybe one or both your axel studs are not totally up tight internally, or have loosened off a bit. If they are even a little loose you may feel a slight bit of movement.

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
The gaps fine i got put it on the biggest gap first time i got it, got use to the gap in a couple of hours, took a while to get use to doing some stuff with the gap but now im use to it it feels weird when i get on someone elses bike with a normal hub.
When i pulled it apart to regrese it, i thought after everything ive heard about them needing heaps of mantinece itd look pretty bad, but i was wrong all was still good, no sign of wear. Still open it up and check just to keep t that way.

And belle movement in the hub is prob comming from one of the axle studs being a little loose as xero said.