Freehub advice

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No just got to find a new freehub thingy.
I know it is social media but not everything is black and white , no I dont like the name or the fact they have closed down but I have seen worse designed parts.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have the same wheelset, been fine for me... I read the reviews etc. After I bought. Meh. So far they have delivered.
Thanks my Stans lasted about 2 years of gentle riding by my wife, reviews we bad so I had it rebuilt with another hub and the rims were difficult to seal and tyres very tight.
In fact the best success I have had is using non tubeless tyres on Stans which are not so tight.
Probably C King, DT Swiss and Hope are the best hubs ?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have had no issues getting various Stans to seal up. I like Hope hubs but hate the noise. DTSwiss have been great as have the Mavic sets I have had. Cannot comment of C King. Ask me about Shimano hubs.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Chris King are high maintenance, high performance. Think of them as a Formula 1 car. bleeding edge of performance. 3 months service intervals in wet conditions. Tool for rebuilding is $321 aussie.

DT Swiss are bulletproof, along with Hope. I've a variety of Hope and DT Swiss. Upgrading the DT ratchet to high POE is the only thing I've done with the DT hubs after 7000km. Hope are less expensive then DT. Dt are lighter. Hope come in every colour under the rainbow. DT come in black.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Green was in the offering of pro4 at one point, I almost bought some before I went blue. google image search reveals some in green out there.

maybe they had the most dramas with Green and dropped them? My blue hubs, purchased from the same vendor at the same time are vastly different from each other.

moorey

call me Mia
Green was in the offering of pro4 at one point, I almost bought some before I went blue. google image search reveals some in green out there.

maybe they had the most dramas with Green and dropped them? My blue hubs, purchased from the same vendor at the same time are vastly different from each other.
You sure? Only ever seen the team green for resale from ex team riders. Gutted if I missed that :oops:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I know this is turning into an epic but the only AC Freehub Shimano style is in South Africa and the postage is ridiculous.
Anyone bought stuff from there ?
Alternative is that there are lots of AC Freehubs but for Campag cassettes would they likely work fine with Shimano rear derailleurs and shifters ?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not well. First problem is that Campag is a very dyed in the wool road purist manufacturer, so cassette options that fit the spline pattern are very limited - as far as I know there are no MTB-sized cassettes built with a Campag spline.

Second problem is that for some completely illogical reason they use unequal sprocket spacings through the cassette; I think three different spacings, at specific points in the block. 11-sp. is close enough to tune tolerably, but not perfectly with either Shimano or SRAM shifter & derailleur, but 10-sp. really doesn't work well because the cassette is also a decent bit wider overall.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Side note, I have a set of AC road wheels lurking in my garage, an abandoned customer job. I don't know if road & MTB hubs were the same or not, but I can throw the freewheel body, pawls & drive plate your way if you want to have a play.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Most modern AC > 2005 freehubs use a 17mm axle .
Victory, Victory 30 and Terrain road hubs are 15mm.
So if Ducks wheel has a 17mm diameter internal of the bearing and takes a shimano cassette it will be fine

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
One I have is for 15mm, but a bit of digging reveals that there are 17mm ID bearings available with the same OD & depth, so should be easily convertible. :D