Freehub bodies - educate me

crash3

Likes Dirt
Hi all
So I removed, cleaned and lubed my shimano freehub body two nights ago, and noted that the bearings within the freehub body itself are toast.
This got me looking at replacing the freehub body, then naturally I thought about upgrading it.

So the freehub body standard thing is pretty straightforward with regards to what cassette you can put on there (I have a microspline cassette, which will only go on microspline freehub bodies).

But how the hell do I know if a freehub body will be compatible with my hub? I'm guessing a bontrager pawl freehub body won't be compatible with my shimano hub, but can I use other shimano freehub bodies? If so how do I know which are cross-compatible? Are there 'aftermarket' freehub body manufacturers like ZTTO, WTB etc that make freehub bodies to fit shimano, sram, bontrager etc hubs or do they all just make their own entire hubs?

Surely a manufacturer like shimano won't re-design the POE system for every new hub they manufacture?

Or are my only two options to buy an exact replacement freehub body, or upgrade my entire hub (and probably spokes, and hell why not the rim while we're there)?

I'm omitting the (hopefully) obvious - a ratchet style freehub body won't work as a replacement for a pawl style freehub body, and vice versa.

For reference my hub is a Shimano FH-MT410-B, 12x148 boost axle.

TIA

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Freewheel bodies are specific to hub manufacturer, and sometimes particular models. House-brand hubs (including Bontrager) are often Formula, Joytech or Novetech, so you may find the same hubs with different names on them, but you still need to match the source manufacturer.