Freeride bike vs Downhill bike

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I would have to agree with people who have posted earlier. For your age i think it would be appropriate to get a light FR bike. I had to make a similar decision when buying a bike a year ago, i'm 15 and weigh about 60kg. I had a choice of a heavy downhill bike or a much lighter freeride bike. I decided to get a light FR bike for a good price. I think i made the right choice. I ended up getting a 2007 Kona Coilair which i am currently selling. I would recomend getting a Giant Reign, it's rather light and you probably couldn't go past it for value. Rather than just listening to us though, go check out your local bike store and test ride a few.
Wouldn't recommend a Reign for DH duties, I've been down that path. The bike cops too much of a beating.

Connor3182

Likes Bikes
Wouldn't recommend a Reign for DH duties, I've been down that path. The bike cops too much of a beating.
Well not necessarily. I'm suggesting a Reign because you can ride it back up the hill. By wanting something light i can make the assumption that he isn't looking for a serious downhill bike. A Reign X is the perfect compromise. But then again you could be right, could be too much abuse.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Well not necessarily. I'm suggesting a Reign because you can ride it back up the hill. By wanting something light i can make the assumption that he isn't looking for a serious downhill bike. A Reign X is the perfect compromise. But then again you could be right, could be too much abuse.
You're right - I suppose it's entirely dependent on how you ride too. If you're an uncoordinated, heavy hack like myself then don't go for a Reign (Reign, not Reign X :))

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Problem is he states he wants a bike that can shred the gnar down hills and do big drops/jumps. And also a bike that can go back up the hill.

In my journey there isn't one built yet.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Problem is he states he wants a bike that can shred the gnar down hills and do big drops/jumps. And also a bike that can go back up the hill.

In my journey there isn't one built yet.
A Reign X would be *decent* at all of the above though..... But yeah, you're right. Get an Anthem and a Glory :p