Freeride Bike

bens109

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I was just after your 2cents on frames for freeriding

I am in the market for a new bike to replace a GT ruckus i-drive I have had for about a year (and have mixed feelings about) and want to spent about $3k. I figure for that sort of money I am best of making sure I get the best frame then building up a bike around that. I am after a predominantly freeride bike but one that will handle DH. The options second hand on farkin at the moment seem to be

Specialized Demo 8
Specialized Demo 9
Xtension DH
Ironhorse Sunday Team
Santa Cruz Bullit
Norco A-line
Balfa 2StepHD
Norco Stinky
Giant DH Comp (not really a freeride bike but there are a few rather cheap for sale)

I know this is a wide choice but would you recommend any in particular? I have always wanted a Demo but the Bullit seems to get good reviews and the Xtension for sale has an awesome spec (don't know much about the frame though). Also there is a chance I could get a GT it1 for the same sort of money which appeals as I am rough on the drive-train but I have heard they are a bit of a dog.

Any help would be great, I have been shifting though these bikes for weeks trying to decide and my uni work is suffering!

Thanks

lethalweapon

Likes Dirt
I would get the Demo 9 they feel great and have 9 inches of rear travel for big hucks...the gt IT1 looks good but im not to sure on the twist shifter and repairing the internal transmition might prove difficult
my 2 cents

chris

Viv92

Eats Squid
The DH comp and possibly the A-line have a too "DH race" inclined geo and larger rings to be that good for freeriding. Also it's a Kona Stinky, and don't get one of them either, they are a bit... dodgy, especially if you got 3k to spend. Everything else would be great for it though. :)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
personally id go the balfa, but really what kind of freeriding are you doing? the balfa lends itself to more all around work wheras say a demo 9 is more just a huckzor only kinda bike... not really all around freeride material.

bens109

Likes Dirt
Sounds good guys :)

I think it is now a toss up between a demo 9 or the bullit (or the sunday). I am not doing anything that extreme as yet (so to speak) but I like drops and north shore style riding would the Bullit handle as well as the demo? The fact it is lighter appeals.

Also does anyone know about the Xtension frames? I know it is ment to be a DH frame but I really like the look of it (solid, simple) and the geometry dosen't look as slack as say a DH Comp.

Thanks

randomridermax

Likes Dirt
sunday for freeride nope doesnt work i tried it, wasnt a fan, i wouldnt be getting something so big for freeride get something smaller if you can i use a 03 sx frame with shermans for freeride i can't do big hucks but i got over them the day i sold my bighit dh, but man does the sx fly, perfect for nearly any conditions so also take that into account you dont need the bigest bike for freeride

GRIM

Likes Dirt
If you want something that can go huge I would go for the Demo 9 or if you want something lighter and better cornering go for a Demo 8 (more a DH Bike but works for me). I have heard the new SC Bullits are going to be good (new Geometry)